EM Waves in Transmission lines

I did the calculation a different way, but I got the same final answer.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the capacitance per unit length and the inductance per unit length of a transmission wire above an infinite conducting plane. It also explores the propagation of EM waves and their speed and characteristic impedance. The characteristic impedance for no reflected power is found, and the fraction of reflected power and phase difference between the incident and reflected waves is calculated for a frequency multiplied by 4. The matching network for a quarter-wave impedance transformer is also discussed. Finally, the calculation for the new input impedance and proportion of reflected power is shown, with a phase difference of zero.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Find the capacitance per unit length and find the inductance per unit length of a transmission wire above a infinite conducting plane. I used the image method

(b) Show that EM waves can propagate, and find their
speed and the characteristic impedance of the line.

(c) Find the characteristic impedance for no reflected power?

(d) The frequency of incoming wave multiplied by 4, find fraction reflected power and the phase difference between the incident and reflected waves.

11qo3de.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)
2qtgtw2.png

Part (b) and (c)
I got an imaginary value for the impedance, not sure if it's right. It implies there is a ∏/2 phase difference between voltage and current?

2u9ty50.png

Part (d)
20j2z4o.png

For part (d), I'm not sure why there would be a phase difference? If it is a short circuit, then there would be a phase change of ∏ (Vr/Vi = -1) if it is an open circuit then it would be completely reflected. What has ramping up the input frequency got to do with the phase difference between incoming and reflected wave?

Physics news on Phys.org
V should be the potential difference between the two actual conductors, not between the wire and its image. Likewise, the flux ##\Phi## should be for a region between the plane and the wire.

L’ is the ratio of the absolute value of the flux and the current. So, it should be positive. The characteristic impedance should be a real, positive number for a lossless transmission line.
----------------------
Think about the condition to have no reflection at the point of connection of the infinite transmission line with the ##\lambda /4## transmission line so that all the power can be delivered to the load. This link might help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-wave_impedance_transformer

TSny said:
V should be the potential difference between the two actual conductors, not between the wire and its image. Likewise, the flux ##\Phi## should be for a region between the plane and the wire.

L’ is the ratio of the absolute value of the flux and the current. So, it should be positive. The characteristic impedance should be a real, positive number for a lossless transmission line.
----------------------
Think about the condition to have no reflection at the point of connection of the infinite transmission line with the ##\lambda /4## transmission line so that all the power can be delivered to the load. This link might help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-wave_impedance_transformer

By the way, the answer to part (c) is [tex]Z_{in} = \frac {Z^2}{Z_L} [/tex], right?for [tex] l = λ/4, [/tex] the additional matching network need to be added is:

[tex] Z_{in} = \frac {V_{(-l)}}{I_{(-l)}} = \frac {V_i e^{jkl} + V_r e^{-jkl} } {V_i e^{jkl} - V_r e^{-jkl} - V_r e^{-jkl} }Z = \frac { (Z_L + Z)e^{jkl} + (Z_L - Z)e^{-jkl} } {(Z_L + Z) e^{jkl} - (Z_L - Z)e^{-jkl} } Z [/tex]

For [tex] l = λ/4 [/tex] , [tex] Z_{in} = \frac {Z^2}{Z_L} [/tex]

For part (d):
As the input frequency is increased by 4 the input wavelength divides by 4, now it would imply that the matching line length becomes [tex] \frac {λ}{4} → λ [/tex]

This results in a mismatch, causing a reflected wave. I have found that the new input impedance [tex] Z'_{in} = 0[/tex]

This is equivalent to a short circuit, and I have found the new [tex] \frac {V_r}{V_i} = -1 [/tex] so the phase difference is ∏.. and all power is reflected!

Last edited:
unscientific said:
By the way, the answer to part (c) is [tex]Z_{in} = \frac {Z^2}{Z_L} [/tex], right?

Yes. You can simplify this using the relationship given between Z and ZL

[tex] Z_{in} = \frac {V_{(-l)}}{I_{(-l)}} = \frac {V_i e^{jkl} + V_r e^{-jkl} } {V_i e^{jkl} - V_r e^{-jkl} - V_r e{-jkl} }Z = \frac { (Z_L + Z)e^{jkl} + (Z_L - Z)e^{-jkl} } {(Z_L + Z) e^{jkl} - (Z_L - Z)e^{-jkl} } Z [/tex]

OK, but some typing errors appear in the denominator of the middle expression.

For part (d):
As the input frequency is increased by 4 the input wavelength divides by 4, now it would imply that the characteristic impedance becomes [tex] \frac {λ}{4} → λ [/tex]

The length of the matching line becomes λ.

This results in a mismatch, causing a reflected wave. I have found that the new input impedance [tex] Z'_{in} = 0[/tex]

I get a different answer. Can you show your calculation?

TSny said:
Yes. You can simplify this using the relationship given between Z and ZL
OK, but some typing errors appear in the denominator of the middle expression.
The length of the matching line becomes λ.
I get a different answer. Can you show your calculation?

When [tex]l = λ, e^{jkl} = e^{j \frac{2∏}{λ} λ} = 0[/tex] so [tex] Z_{in} = \frac {0}{0} Z [/tex]

What is the value of ej2##\pi## ?

Note e is never zero. It's a point on the unit circle in the complex plane.

latest calculation below.

Last edited:
unscientific said:
It should be = 1.
Yes.

That gives [tex]2Z_L[/tex].

I don't get that result for Zin.

TSny said:
Yes.
I don't get that result for Zin.

Sorry, I got [tex] Z_{in} = Z_L [/tex]

So on the left side, we have impedance of [tex] \frac {1}{4} Z_L [/tex] and on the right side we have impedance of [tex] Z_L [/tex].So [tex] \frac {V_r}{V_i} = + \frac {3}{5} [/tex] (No phase difference)

So proportion of power reflected = [tex] (\frac {V_r}{V_i})^2 = \frac {9}{25} [/tex]

As for phase difference, I don't think there's a phase difference? it should be zero. (Anyway all cases include 0 or ∏)

Last edited:
I think that's right.

Likes 1 person

1. What are electromagnetic (EM) waves in transmission lines?

Electromagnetic waves in transmission lines are a form of energy that is propagated through space in the form of electric and magnetic fields. They are produced when an alternating current flows through a conductor, such as a wire or cable, and are used to transmit signals and power over long distances.

2. How do EM waves travel through transmission lines?

EM waves travel through transmission lines by creating a magnetic field around the conductor, which in turn creates an electric field. The electric and magnetic fields then interact with each other and propagate along the transmission line until they reach their destination.

3. What is the importance of EM waves in transmission lines?

EM waves in transmission lines are important because they allow for the efficient transmission of signals and power over long distances. They are used in a variety of applications, such as telecommunications, broadcasting, and power distribution.

4. How are EM waves affected by the properties of transmission lines?

The properties of transmission lines, such as the material, size, and shape, can affect the propagation of EM waves. For example, the impedance of a transmission line can impact the amount of energy that is transmitted, while the dielectric material can affect the velocity of the wave.

5. What are some common types of transmission lines for EM waves?

Some common types of transmission lines for EM waves include coaxial cables, microstrip lines, and waveguides. These transmission lines vary in their construction and properties, and are used in different applications depending on their specific characteristics.