1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM Waves in Transmission lines

1. Jan 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Find the capacitance per unit length and find the inductance per unit length of a transmission wire above a infinite conducting plane. I used the image method

(b) Show that EM waves can propagate, and find their
    speed and the characteristic impedance of the line.

(c) Find the characteristic impedance for no reflected power?

(d) The frequency of incoming wave multiplied by 4, find fraction reflected power and the phase difference between the incident and reflected waves.

11qo3de.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)
    2qtgtw2.png

Part (b) and (c)
    I got an imaginary value for the impedance, not sure if it's right. It implies there is a ∏/2 phase difference between voltage and current?

2u9ty50.png

Part (d)
    20j2z4o.png

For part (d), I'm not sure why there would be a phase difference? If it is a short circuit, then there would be a phase change of ∏ (Vr/Vi = -1) if it is an open circuit then it would be completely reflected. What has ramping up the input frequency got to do with the phase difference between incoming and reflected wave?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

V should be the potential difference between the two actual conductors, not between the wire and its image. Likewise, the flux ##\Phi## should be for a region between the plane and the wire.

L’ is the ratio of the absolute value of the flux and the current. So, it should be positive. The characteristic impedance should be a real, positive number for a lossless transmission line.
    ----------------------
    Think about the condition to have no reflection at the point of connection of the infinite transmission line with the ##\lambda /4## transmission line so that all the power can be delivered to the load. This link might help
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-wave_impedance_transformer

4. Jan 5, 2014 #3
    By the way, the answer to part (c) is [tex]Z_{in} = \frac {Z^2}{Z_L} [/tex], right?

for [tex] l = λ/4, [/tex] the additional matching network need to be added is:

[tex] Z_{in} = \frac {V_{(-l)}}{I_{(-l)}} = \frac {V_i e^{jkl} + V_r e^{-jkl} } {V_i e^{jkl} - V_r e^{-jkl} - V_r e^{-jkl} }Z = \frac { (Z_L + Z)e^{jkl} + (Z_L - Z)e^{-jkl} } {(Z_L + Z) e^{jkl} - (Z_L - Z)e^{-jkl} } Z [/tex]

For [tex] l = λ/4 [/tex] , [tex] Z_{in} = \frac {Z^2}{Z_L} [/tex]

For part (d):
    As the input frequency is increased by 4 the input wavelength divides by 4, now it would imply that the matching line length becomes [tex] \frac {λ}{4} → λ [/tex]

This results in a mismatch, causing a reflected wave. I have found that the new input impedance [tex] Z'_{in} = 0[/tex]

This is equivalent to a short circuit, and I have found the new [tex] \frac {V_r}{V_i} = -1 [/tex] so the phase difference is ∏.. and all power is reflected!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. Jan 5, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You can simplify this using the relationship given between Z and ZL

OK, but some typing errors appear in the denominator of the middle expression.

The length of the matching line becomes λ.

I get a different answer. Can you show your calculation?

6. Jan 5, 2014 #5
    When [tex]l = λ, e^{jkl} = e^{j \frac{2∏}{λ} λ} = 0[/tex] so [tex] Z_{in} = \frac {0}{0} Z [/tex]

7. Jan 5, 2014 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the value of ej2##\pi## ?

Note e is never zero. It's a point on the unit circle in the complex plane.

8. Jan 5, 2014 #7
    latest calculation below.

9. Jan 5, 2014 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

I don't get that result for Zin.

10. Jan 5, 2014 #9
    Sorry, I got [tex] Z_{in} = Z_L [/tex]

So on the left side, we have impedance of [tex] \frac {1}{4} Z_L [/tex] and on the right side we have impedance of [tex] Z_L [/tex].

So [tex] \frac {V_r}{V_i} = + \frac {3}{5} [/tex] (No phase difference)

So proportion of power reflected = [tex] (\frac {V_r}{V_i})^2 = \frac {9}{25} [/tex]

As for phase difference, I don't think there's a phase difference? it should be zero. (Anyway all cases include 0 or ∏)

11. Jan 5, 2014 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted