1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM waves: multiple planar interfaces (PEC-backed lossy dielectric)

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Our prof has told us we can get help from wherever/whoever we want as long as it isn't classmates. This is a take-home test. The relevant question:

You have a three-layer dielectric.

| Layer 1 | Layer 2 | Layer 3 |

Layers 1 and 3 are semi-infinite.

Layer 1 is air (εr = 1, μr = 1), σ = 0.
    Layer 2 is a lossy dielectric, εr = 2, μr = 1, σ = 0.01S/m. Its length is 1m.
    Layer 3 is a perfect electric conductor (PEC).

The freespace wavelength of an incident EM wave is 1m.

Find the power reflection coefficient R's numerical value for an incident angle of 0°, 40°, and 80°, and plot R for 0<θ<90.

2. Relevant equations
    Maxwell's equations, boundary conditions, and matrix methods for solving multiple dielectric interfaces. I've posted some, the rest I can link to or post them on request: they're quite lengthy (probably about 20-30 pages).

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to find a closed form for the transfer matrix between the lossy dielectric and the PEC, but it always comes up singular. I'm not sure how to procede. As the σ = ∞ for the PEC, the wavenumber is also infinite, and so I can't reasonably find a closed form for the matrices. I have done a numerical solution that literally measures reflections (and attentuation causes it to quickly drop off anyway), but I'm wondering if I was beating my head against the desk for nothing.

If someone could explain what a PEC does in this case (does it absorb all the energy? Does it completely reflect it?) it would be really helpful, information on that seems scant too.

I can, again, post my attempt if you wish, but it's about 300-400 lines of matlab code. If in the end the answer is just "there is no closed form for the matrix" then I guess that'll be that.

Thanks and if there are any additional questions please don't hesitate. You guys are the best, that's why I keep coming back.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted