1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM waves

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    Show that the electric field: E = Emsin(kx-ωt) and magnetic field: B=Bmsin(kx-ωt) satisfy the following equations:

[tex]-\frac{\partial B}{\partial x} = \mu_{0}\epsilon_{0}\frac{\partial E}{\partial t}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial x} = -\frac{\partial B}{\partial t}[/tex]

I have no idea about this. Would you please guide me for solving this.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2

AEM

Your equations didn't come out properly so we can't help you.

4. Feb 7, 2009 #3
    Sorry for my bad Latex typing. :redface:

I've edited.

5. Feb 8, 2009 #4

AEM

In a situation like this, the usual procedure is to substitute the two given expressions into the differential equation, take the derivatives and see what happens. As I look at what you've been given (without working it out myself) I think you may have to figure out how to relate [tex] \mu_o \epsilon_o [/tex] to k and [tex] \omega [/tex].
    That should get you started. Let us know if you run into trouble.

6. Feb 8, 2009 #5

AEM

Upon reading my previous post, I see a small problem with what I wrote. When you substitute the expressions for E an B into each equation, you'll end up with a [tex] B_m [/tex] on one side and a [tex] E_m [/tex] on the other. That's a nuisance. However, I'll bet you can figure out a way to combine those two equations into one equation and then do the substitution.

7. Feb 8, 2009 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

IIRC, you would start with Maxwell's equations....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook