1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EM Waves

1. Jul 24, 2005 #1
    hi guys i had a quick question about EM waves

given EM travelling west, B field oscilates vertically and has f= 80,000 Hz and a rms strength of 6.75e-9 T what are the frequency and rms strength of electric field and what direction...

so for direction i have it ocscillating horizontally and for rms strength i have E= cB

so E = 2 v/m but for frequency i have no idea

wavelength * f = v but i have no idea what wavelength is.... any help is appreciated thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2005 #2
    you correctly solved the first questions
    you're very close to the "frequency" answer.
    how is the freq of the E field related to the freq of the B field in this EM wave?
    (hint: think "equal")

also FYI:
    (frequency)*(wavelength) = velocity = c = 3x108 m/sec
    since you know that frequency = 80,000 Hz, you can also determine wavelength of this EM wave (altho it's not required for the problem solution)
  4. Jul 25, 2005 #3
    thanks for your help, i got it now, forgot that c=V thanks again
  5. Jul 25, 2005 #4
    actually, im kinda stuck again,,,,, if i used V=c,,, then i would get a wavelength of 3750m, and then when i try to find frequency of E field, i would get that it has the same frequency of B field, becuase A=B B=C
    A must = C
    A being B field frequency and C being E field frequency
  6. Jul 25, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why does this trouble you? Why would they not have the same frequency?

7. Jul 25, 2005 #6
    ...i GUESS i can live with it...lol...............thanks guys
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?