1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Email Subject Line

1. Apr 11, 2017 #1
    I am sorry if this sounds very basic, but I am really troubled on what to title an email regarding a request to join a research group! Any ideas or guidelines?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2017 #2
    How about
    Application to Join xyz Research Group
    ?

4. Apr 11, 2017 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

5. Apr 11, 2017 #4
    The suggestions above are fine. I usually encourage students to sell themselves a bit when making cold contact emails. Lead strong in the opening sentence, and make sure the resume you include focuses on strengths. You can sell one strength in the subject line, or you can request a meeting instead.

Make it clear that you are requesting the meeting to discuss working in their research group.

Subject: Meeting request to discuss research opportunities in your group

Good morning,

I am an undergraduate at (Big State U) majoring in Physics with a 4.0 GPA. My programming skills are strong, and I am looking for a research group where I can contribute. Reviewing your web page and recent papers suggests I may be a good fit in your group. My resume is attached. Is there a good time I can come by your office for 15 minutes this week to discuss it in person? Some times I am available during your posted office hours are ...

Best Regards,

Joe Physics Major

Don't be shy. Email them a couple times if needed, and then just show up. Have a paper copy of your resume in hand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted