Why is My Dog Embarrassing Me in Front of Company?

In summary, Blanca the dog was doing her half twist butt in the curtains routine at our company Sunday evening and my old dog decided to embarrass me by doing the same thing. The problem is pretty clear and it's lying on the floor in the lower center of the picture. If my owner gave me milkbone treats, I'd do anything I could to embarrass them, too. Blanca is my old dog's name and she was a service dog for my father -in -law for 4 years. When he passed away I decided to let her enjoy being a dog. I fed my cat such foods for years, after
Physics news on Phys.org
That's how happy dog looks alike. You don't have to be happy about that :wink:

Aw man, I love doing that when guests come over! Cool pooch.

edward said:
We had company Sunday evening and my old dog decided to do her half twist butt in the curtains routine. :redface:

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/5793/1000788jpgolddogcv4.jpg

The problem is pretty clear. It's lying on the floor in the lower center of the picture.

If my owner gave me milkbone treats, I'd do anything I could to embarrass them, too.

Try Puperoni's or those sausage snack'em things in a can (geez, I know what all of the good treats look like, but I can't remember what they're called.)

Or get her one of those 20 pound mammoth bones to supplement the milkbones. She'll still take her revenge out on you, but she'll do it by dropping the bone on your toes instead of embarrassing you when you have company. Well, she might drop the bone on your company's toes, but you'll be too busy rushing them to the emergency room to feel much embarrassment.

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
my old dog decided to do her half twist butt in the curtains routine.

However undignified it might be, it's still a lot better than the 'butt drag across the carpet' routine that my Corgi used to save for guests. :grumpy:

That doesn't look embarrassing at all! She just wants tummy rubbies! At least she wasn't humping the guests legs or sniffing under their skirts. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
At least she wasn't humping the guests legs or sniffing under their skirts. :uhh:

That's wrong? :redface:

So is the treat to get her to stop, or to get her to do the trick so you could get a pic? lol

You should have seen the look on my guests faces when I snapped the picture. It was priceless. OOPs I just relaized I msipelled embarrassing. :cool:

If your dog is dragging its bottom along the carpet it may mean that it needs its anal glands drained. I work at a vet clinic...
If it makes you feel any better, when I was being inspected for my rider level 3 I was explaining to the examiner the various parts of my horse etc, and she promptly turned around, sat on her food bucket which happened to be at a convenient height and proceeded to hump her bucket. I had never seen her do this before. Turns out she was in heat. I had to keep a straight face as I rushed into pull her out. The 4 ft nothing 800 year old british examiner didn't even flinch, but there was that awful silence when both of us were just standing there like... is this really happening... what do I do? I quickly came up with a clever white lie and told him she does that to relieve back pain and that I would be calling the chiropractor in immediately. Both of us knew better.

edward said:
You should have seen the look on my guests faces when I snapped the picture. It was priceless. OOPs I just relaized I msipelled embarrassing. :cool:

Worse yet, you misspelled "misspelled". Plus "realize", but who's counting?

Last edited:
fileen said:
If it makes you feel any better, when I was being inspected for my rider level 3 I was explaining to the examiner the various parts of my horse etc, and she promptly turned around, sat on her food bucket which happened to be at a convenient height and proceeded to hump her bucket. I had never seen her do this before.
Oh :rofl: I thought you were talking about the examiner!

BobG said:
Worse yet, you misspelled "misspelled". Plus "realize", but who's counting?

Can we call the second one a typo? please:redface:

binzing said:
So is the treat to get her to stop, or to get her to do the trick so you could get a pic? lol

Actually the dog has me pretty well trained. I try to get the mutt to eat the milk bones to help keep her teeth clean, but she prefers the good stuff and she knows where to get it.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7627/1000807jpgblancatreatsgx6.jpg

OMG, she's so pretty!

Evo said:
OMG, she's so pretty!

Old dog is 14 now and showing some age. Blanca is her name and she was a service dog for my father -in -law for 4 years. When he passed away I decided to let her enjoy being a dog.

edward said:
Actually the dog has me pretty well trained. I try to get the mutt to eat the milk bones to help keep her teeth clean, but she prefers the good stuff and she knows where to get it.

... " dogs don't know that it's not bacon ". I fed my cat such foods for years , after 7 years of eating that stuff , it had terrible teeth. One day I pondered on whether all cats in the wild have such bad teeth after 7 years , that's when I realized that companies such as Purina actually do not have the best interests for the well being of animals ... in particular their dental health. All of that cheap grease , sugar , and nutrients in crude forms ; my cat's health was decent , it's just that his teeth were not in good shape.

GCT said:
... " dogs don't know that it's not bacon ". I fed my cat such foods for years , after 7 years of eating that stuff , it had terrible teeth. One day I pondered on whether all cats in the wild have such bad teeth after 7 years , that's when I realized that companies such as Purina actually do not have the best interests for the well being of animals ... in particular their dental health. All of that cheap grease , sugar , and nutrients in crude forms ; my cat's health was decent , it's just that his teeth were not in good shape.

You're right that many store-bought pet foods contain ingredients that would neve qualify as human food, and really shouldn't be fed to beloved pets. But sugar in cat food - probably not. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/24/AR2005072401107.html"

Beautiful dog, Edward!

lisab said:
You're right that many store-bought pet foods contain ingredients that would neve qualify as human food, and really shouldn't be fed to beloved pets. But sugar in cat food - probably not. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/24/AR2005072401107.html"

Beautiful dog, Edward!

I'm not claiming that cats actually enjoy or do not enjoy such foods , I'm stating that these store brand foods cause dental problems.

edward said:

She's so lovely! :!)

I miss mine who was pretty much like her & I just felt a tear in my eye lol :(

lisab said:

Beautiful dog, Edward!

Even worse some of the ingredients in animal treats are the same as in human junk food. :yuck:

Beggin strips ingredients:

Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Yellow Corn, Water, Sugar, Glycerin, Meat, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrosylate, Soybean Meal, Bacon Fat Preserved with BHA, Salt, Sorbic Acid (a Preservative), Artificial Smoke Flavor, Calcium Propionate (a Preservative), Glyceryl Monostearate, Phosphoric Acid, Choline Chloride, Added Color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Yellow 6).

rootX said:
She's so lovely! :!)

I miss mine who was pretty much like her & I just felt a tear in my eye lol :(

Sorry to hear about your dog. They are such great companions. I am sure cat lovers feel the same way.

edward said:
I am sure cat lovers feel the same way.
It's just weird. When my father died, we shipped him off to the university medical school for 3 years of investigation by students. After about 7 years, I called to see what was up, since we hadn't gotten him back. They said that he was so interesting that they'd like to keep him a while longer. No problem. After 10 years, they sent him back in a little box that stayed on my front porch for another 5 or 6 years. Then my brother asked if he could have him, so there he went to the farm. I think that my brother planted him under a tree somewhere in his yard. My brother died a couple of years ago, so I don't know where he is.
And yet, when Dingbat MacBeth died, almost exactly on his 20th birthday, I wrapped him up in the sweater that he'd been lying on, buried him with a blanket of Kitty Litter, talked to him for 2 hours, and cried for the rest of the night.
There's something about those damned critters...

edward said:
Even worse some of the ingredients in animal treats are the same as in human junk food. :yuck:

Beggin strips ingredients:

Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Ground Yellow Corn, Water, Sugar, Glycerin, Meat, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrosylate, Soybean Meal, Bacon Fat Preserved with BHA, Salt, Sorbic Acid (a Preservative), Artificial Smoke Flavor, Calcium Propionate (a Preservative), Glyceryl Monostearate, Phosphoric Acid, Choline Chloride, Added Color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Yellow 6).

Bacon fat , yeah , that'll do him good ... all of those dyes are going to stain his teeth , the sole way to clean his teeth of those dyes is organic solvents.

lisab said:

The problem with a lot of the brands out there is that they are made to appeal more to the owners than the pets. A cat or dog doesn't care what cooked bacon looks like, they just care that it tastes good. All those extra dyes and stuff are added to appeal to the owners.

that's not embarrassing, this is embarrassing
embarrassingdog.jpg

Its sort of funny that the first time I used the smudge tool in photoshop was to do this

Last edited:
I just bought a $1500 puppy (dumb) and he will be eating home made all organic dog food. My dalmation is completely intollerant to all comercial dog foods. I have been making home made dog food for a couple years now. My horse has colitis from the corn put in horse food. Go figure that horses should NEVER have corn, its not even remotely good for them. When I started researching horse food I learned that comercial companies don't even have recipes. They just meet the %protein, %fiber etc with whatever is cheapest at the time. I only found one company that makes a horse food with no corn.. and yes I pay through the teeth for it. Very little effort, care or research goes into pet food.

edward said:
Old dog is 14 now and showing some age. Blanca is her name and she was a service dog for my father -in -law for 4 years. When he passed away I decided to let her enjoy being a dog.

Sorry about the drapes. :biggrin:

She is a beautiful dog.

tribdog said:
that's not embarrassing, this is embarrassing
embarrassingdog.jpg

Its sort of funny that the first time I used the smudge tool in photoshop was to do this

:rofl::rofl: You have completed the picture that I am sure was in the minds of my guests. Pet Smart sells Tushie Wipes for dogs but I haven't been able to teach the dog how to use them.

Edit: OK OK someone is going to say the dog could learn by example. I'm not going there.

Last edited:
Poor dog, just wanted his bum scratched. I'll scratch my dog's bum I don't mind. Won't wash my hands afterwards either. Even if I'm sharing a bowl of popcorn with you.

They are not house-pets, but I have a couple of chipmunks who will climb me hunting for sunflower seeds in my pockets. It's not embarrassing, but kinda funny when they try it with someone who's visiting. The chipmunk gets startled and jumps off when it realizes it's trying to climb a stranger, and the visitor often has some pretty funny reactions, too.

pocket.jpg

I'd be scared of catching something from the chipmunk...even if it is cute.

You'd use a condom?

Abstinence.

lisab said:
Cats can't taste sweet.

Depends how you cook 'em.