1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Embeddable in-metal RFID

1. Jul 27, 2015 #1
    I am new to RFID but relatively familiar with how it works and its limitations. However, I recently learned of an advancement in the tech known as embeddable in-metal RFID, which appears to be a newer evolution in the tech and a product offered by very few suppliers thus far. I believe this type of RFID may address a problem I've been trying to solve for some time - unfortunately there seems to be very little information available on the web.

So can anyone here explain this evolution in RFID tech to me? How exactly do these readers/tags penetrate metal? Is there a limit to the thickness of the metal material the tag or reader is embedded in? What are the drawbacks of this type of system vs the standard LF/HF systems that cannot send/receive signals through metal?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook