How can a Personal Computer be used as a load in Harmonic Monitoring?

• Thread starter vikasjoshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonic
In summary, Vikas Joshi is a student studying Electronics Engineering and doing a project on Harmonics Monitoring using Micro-controllers. He has some doubts about it, including how to detect harmonics from a single phase supply, how to give the detected harmonics to an ADC channel, how to display harmonic waveforms on a graphical display, how to interface a personal computer as a load with the power supply, and how to eliminate harmonic components. He is using an 89S52 Micro-controller but could also use a PIC. The solution suggested is to sample the waveform as fast as possible using an anti-aliasing analog filter before analyzing the data with an FFT algorithm.
vikasjoshi
Hi,I am Vikas Joshi and I'm studying last year Electronics Engineering. I am doing project on Harmonics Monitoring using Micro-controllers. I have some doubts about it.They are as follows:
1.How to detect Harmonics from Single Phase supply.What kind of circuits I should use to detect specific order harmonic component?
2.How to give that detected harmonic to ADC channel?
3.How to display harmonic waveforms on graphical display?
4.If I want to use Personal Computer as load then how will be my interfacing diagram with power supply?
5.How to eliminate the harmonic components and what is the position of detection circuits and elimination circuits?
By the way I am using 89S52 Micro-controller.I can do the same using PIC also.
If anyone has solutions about these questions then you can mail it to me at my mail address:
vikassoftware9617@gmail.com.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You did not state what frequency range you need.

The simplest way to do that is just to sample the waveform as fast as possible. Use an anti-aliasing analog filter before sampling. Then the sampled data can be analyzed for frequency content using an FFT algorithm. That would answer most of your questions.
vikasjoshi said:
If I want to use Personal Computer as load then how will be my interfacing diagram with power supply?
Huh? That doesn't make sense. I can't imagine what you are asking about.

1. What is embedded harmonic monitoring?

Embedded harmonic monitoring is a method of continuously measuring and analyzing the harmonic distortion present in an electrical system. It involves using embedded devices, such as sensors or meters, to collect data on the harmonic content of the system.

2. Why is embedded harmonic monitoring important?

Embedded harmonic monitoring is important because harmonic distortion can lead to power quality issues and can negatively impact the performance and lifespan of electrical equipment. By continuously monitoring the harmonic content, potential issues can be identified and addressed before they cause significant problems.

3. How does embedded harmonic monitoring work?

Embedded harmonic monitoring works by using sensors or meters to measure the voltage and current waveforms in an electrical system. The collected data is then analyzed to determine the harmonic content and any potential issues. This data can also be used to track trends and make adjustments to minimize harmonic distortion.

4. What are the benefits of embedded harmonic monitoring?

The benefits of embedded harmonic monitoring include improved power quality, increased equipment reliability, and reduced downtime and maintenance costs. It can also help to identify energy efficiency opportunities and optimize power usage.

5. Can embedded harmonic monitoring be used in all types of electrical systems?

Yes, embedded harmonic monitoring can be used in all types of electrical systems. It is particularly useful in systems with a high concentration of non-linear loads, such as variable speed drives or computers, which are known to cause harmonic distortion.