1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Embedded sensing?

1. Aug 11, 2008 #1
    I'm an EE major and I want to go into a field where my services, or whatever it is I work on, can be used to save lives and protect people. Would embedded sensing be a good choice?

I've heard of embedded sensor networks being used to:
    - help forecast earthquakes (hours before they occur, not weeks or months or years)
    - I've heard of researchers using a network of sensors in people's laptops to detect vibrations. I've also heard of using large networks of sensors to help understand earthquakes better.
    - combat terrorism (sensors to detect radiation, explosives, hazardous chemicals)
    - I understand that current sensors have flaws, but I think I could help to perfect them and develop large networks of them, which could be used to detect threats and warn the authorities.
    - run structural diagnostics
    - I think this is one area where networked sensors can tell whether a bridge or building is at risk of collapse. It can also be used on vehicles to monitor things like temperature and pressure.
    - run medical diagnostics
    - I think a small network of sensors could help monitor blood pressure, blood pH, etc.

I mean, this is just a sampling of what I think embedded sensor networks could be used for. The bottom line is that I want whatever it is I choose to do to have a wide variety of applications. So do you think this is a good choice?

Also, what companies could I work for if I choose to go into embedded sensing? Would I have to work for the government at a lab or something? A university? And where, geographically, could I get work in this field?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted