Embeddings of Gauge Group in Einstein-Yang-Mills Theory

In summary, it was established that there exist embedded U(1) solutions to the EYM field equations and additionally, additional embedded solutions can exist due to the compact covering group of G. It was also shown that the way of distinguishing between a connection associated with the whole group G and the one associated with a subgroup S of G can be determined by checking the number of non-vanishing components of the regarded connection.
PhilipSS
In the framework of Einstein-Yang-Mills (EYM) theory, suppose the following action:

\begin{equation}S=\int\left({\kappa R + \alpha tr(F_{\mu \nu}F^{\mu \nu})d^4 x}\right)\,,\end{equation}

where F is the gauge curvature associated with a non-abelian Lie group G and a gauge connection A. Then, it was established (P. B. Yasskin, Solutions for Gravity Coupled to Massless Gauge Fields, Phys. Rev. D 12, 2212 (1975)) that there exist embedded U(1) solutions (i.e. with a commutative gauge connection) to the EYM field equations. Furhermore,, it was also shown (G. 't Hooft, Magnetic Monopoles in Unified Gauge Theories, Nucl. Phys. B 79, 276 (1974)) that additional embedded solutions can exist due to the compact covering group of G.

Then my question is about the way of distinguishing between the gauge connection associated with a general group G and the connection associated with a subgroup of G in some complicated cases. For example, suppose the Lorentz group SO(3,1) and the spin connection A in a Minkowski space-time:

\begin{equation}A^{a b}\,_{\mu}=e^{a}\,_{\lambda}\,e^{b \rho}\,\Gamma^{\lambda}\,_{\rho \mu}+e^{a}\,_{\lambda}\,\partial_{\mu}\,e^{b \lambda}\,.\end{equation}

I have computed the non-vanishing components of this connection in the Minkowski space-time and this is the outcome by using the usual coordinates:

\begin{equation}A^{1 2}\,_{\theta}=1\,,A^{1 3}\,_{\theta}=sin(\theta)\,,A^{2 3}\,_{\phi}=cos(\theta)\,.\end{equation}

Hence there are three independent components. Then it seems that these components satisfy the commutation laws of the SO(3) subgroup, so that my first question is why? If the isometry group of the minkowski space-time associated to the rotations is the SO(3,1) group, where are the additional components of the whole group SO(3,1)? Obviously, if I was written an abelian spin connection instead of a non-abelian one as above, then I had wrongly computed the mentioned components because of the isometry group of the space-time is a non-abelian group, then why the components of such a minkowski spin connection are associated with the SO(3) subgroup instead of the whole group SO(3,1)?

Similarly, my second question is about the way of distinguishing in certain cases between a connection associated with the whole group G and the one associated with a subgroup S of G. For example, suppose the spin connection of the Schwarzschild space-time, then the computations give rise to the following components:

\begin{equation}A^{0 1}\,_{t}=-\frac{m}{r^2}\,,A^{1 2}\,_{\theta}=\sqrt{1-\frac{2m}{r}}\,,A^{1 3}\,_{\theta}=sin(\theta)\sqrt{1-\frac{2m}{r}}\,,A^{2 3}\,_{\phi}=cos(\theta)\,.\end{equation}

In this situation, an additional component arises in presence of this curved space-time and I am not sure if this type of connection is associated with the SO(3) group or with the SO(3,1), because of the presence of such an additional component...

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to my second question, I think that a possible answer is to check the number of non-vanishing components of the regarded connection. In the case of the spin connection and the Schwarzschild space-time, there are four non-vanishing components and therefore it cannot describe the SO(3) subgroup whose dimensión is 3, but the SO(3,1) group of dimensión 6. Anyway, I would like to know if it is available any alternative and rigorous demonstration, also for general connections and different examples.

Best regards.

1. What is the significance of "Embeddings of Gauge Group" in Einstein-Yang-Mills Theory?

The gauge group in Einstein-Yang-Mills theory refers to the group of transformations that preserve the underlying structure of the theory. Embeddings of this group refer to how it is mathematically represented in the theory. This is important because it allows for a better understanding and analysis of the theory, as well as providing a framework for extending it to other areas of physics.

2. How are gauge group embeddings related to the concept of symmetry breaking?

In Einstein-Yang-Mills theory, the gauge group is spontaneously broken when the vacuum state is not invariant under the group transformations. The choice of embedding can determine which symmetries are broken and which are preserved. This is important in understanding the different phases of the theory and the behavior of particles within these phases.

3. What are the implications of different embeddings of the gauge group?

The choice of embedding can affect the physical predictions of the theory. For example, different embeddings can result in different particle masses and interactions. This has important implications for experimental tests of the theory and can also lead to new insights into the underlying physics.

4. How do researchers determine the most appropriate embedding for a specific problem?

Choosing the most appropriate embedding for a specific problem involves a combination of theoretical considerations and experimental data. Researchers use mathematical techniques and physical principles to analyze the symmetries and dynamics of the theory and determine the optimal embedding for their specific research question.

5. How do embeddings of the gauge group impact our understanding of gravity?

The relationship between gauge group embeddings and gravity is an ongoing area of research. Some theories propose that the gauge group itself is responsible for the gravitational force, while others suggest that gravity can be incorporated into the gauge group through a process known as gauge-gravity duality. Understanding these embeddings is crucial in developing a unified theory of physics that can explain both quantum mechanics and gravity.