Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Emergency contact info

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=411587" thread, it was mentioned that we should have a buddy system where people would have another member who could contact them in the real world. This is a good idea but how would you know who that buddy was?

I would like to propose a link on a user's profile page that will allow you to specify people who know your contact info. Those people wouldn't be at liberty to pass on contact info but would only be used for emergency purposes (like someone with thousands of posts suddenly disappearing). BTW, glad that you're OK Danger! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2010 #2
    So, Borg suggests that PF members are actually real ?

4. Jul 1, 2010 #3

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What, everyone is a figment of my imagination? :tongue:

5. Jul 1, 2010 #4
    It's still relevant, since we're at least real in your imagination.

6. Jul 3, 2010 #5
    I like that idea, Borg, because while we may have a buddy system in place, who would know who to ask? Maybe we could get an additional box added in "additional information" called "PF Buddy" or something like, and name the person to contact if we go missing or astray or awry or whatever it is we go. Then other people would know who to ask and it would be right in our profiles.

7. Jul 3, 2010 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL. After all of the work that you did, I was sure that you would approve of this one. I would also make it a buddy list in case there is more than one. :smile:

8. Jul 3, 2010 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

For now, you could make a blog entry where you could list the person to contact. You could also make the entry private, I believe when you do that only a mentor or admin could see it.

I wouldn't put any private contact information there though, I never trust how secure that is.

9. Jul 3, 2010 #8
    I agree, Evo, I wouldn't put any private contact information on my profile page, here, and I wouldn't recommend anyone do it. What I meant was (and I don't know that everyone has someone they can do this with, here) that I'd put in a "contact buddy" box Moonbear's name. That's it. Just Moonbear. If I went missing for any length of time, or anyone needed/wanted to know where I'd got to, you could just ask her. She has contacts for people who are in my daily life and my home phone and whatnot. And I know how to contact her. So. Like that, is what I meant. Not make private info public, but establish/have one person, preferably here, who people could go to.

And, thanks Borg, yes, a list would work if you had more than one person. :smile:

10. Jul 3, 2010 #9

Evo

That's what I meant, if you have a PF buddy, you could name them in your blog and even make it private, so no one has to know who that person is. It's just a temporary solution until something like what you propose could be done by Greg. I think your idea is great.

11. Jul 3, 2010 #10
    How about just set up a dead man's switch: http://www.mylastemail.com/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Jul 3, 2010 #11

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have the mobile phone numbers for B. Elliott and Char. Limit.

If someone should notice them missing, please contact me and I will give them a holler.

Please note that B. Elliot is now prone to random periods of top secret disappearances, so please wait 6 months before contacting me regarding his whereabouts.

I also know where wolram, lisab, Borek, Andre, and Kurdt live. So contact me if they show up missing also, and I will send them a post card. :tongue2:

13. Jul 3, 2010 #12

turbo

Gold Member

There are a couple of members that know how to contact me should I disappear. That's probably a good thing because my wife isn't too computer-savvy.

14. Jul 3, 2010 #13

jtbell

How about this? The profile already has a link that you can click to send an e-mail to a member (if he's enabled it). The link doesn't show the actual e-mail address. The forum software looks it up from the registration information and sends the e-mail for you.

We could have a similar link for an emergency contact, which a member could choose to enable by providing a suitable e-mail address.

15. Jul 3, 2010 #14

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is an excellent idea, and requires no modifications to the forum. It would require that a Mentor get involved in case of a disappearance, since Mentors can view private blogs, but that shouldn't be a problem.

16. Jul 3, 2010 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I want to be Cyrus' buddy.

17. Jul 3, 2010 #16
    I want AskJeevesBot Spider to be my buddy. . .

18. Jul 4, 2010 #17

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Wait, Cheeto, how do you have my number? I'm not mad, but I don't remember ever giving it out. Well, at least I don't have to ask the question "what if no one knows me?"

If OmCheeto knows my phone number, that's great. I'm already covered.

19. Jul 4, 2010 #18

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Moonbear showed me how to find it:

Facebook: Account: Edit Friends: Phonebook: Your phone number

I would post my number, but an unhealthy percentage of my facebook "friends" are actually sociopathic acquaintances. I only accept them as friends so they won't come and kill me.

20. Jul 5, 2010 #19

drizzle

Gold Member

Oh!... Facebook friends!... I see..... Are you sure that's it?! :armed devil:

21. Jul 5, 2010 #20
    Oh, bloody hell. Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook