1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emergency Homework Help: Forces

1. Apr 4, 2004 #1
    A 4500-kg helicopter accelerates upward at 2m/s^2. What lift force is exerted by the air on the propellers?

Is the answer just Newtons Second Law of Motion F=ma, so F=(4500kg)*(2)
    , so F= 9000N
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2004 #2
    Don't forget that gravity is also acting on the helicopter, and the propellers must overcome the force of gravity as well.

4. Apr 4, 2004 #3
    so would I have to convert the initial mass into weight. i.e. W=MG

Is that what I would have to do?
  5. Apr 4, 2004 #4
    The lift must be greater than the weight enough to accelerate the helicopter 2 m/s^2.

F = aF is an equation you just made up and has no meaning. Try using Newton's 2nd Law.

6. Apr 4, 2004 #5
    But Newton's Second Law is Force = Mass times Acceleration. Which I used in the first place.
  7. Apr 5, 2004 #6
    Yes, you did a good job of finding the net force on the helicopter. But that's not the lift because you're not taking into consideration gravity.

8. Apr 5, 2004 #7

Science Advisor

I think cookie is saying this

F = (4500)(9.8 + 2)
  9. Apr 5, 2004 #8
    The law is:
    [tex]\Sigma F = ma[/tex]
    But the lift force is not the only one acting on the helicopter:
    [tex]\Sigma F = F_{lift} - mg[/tex]
  10. Apr 5, 2004 #9

Science Advisor

Although technically correct, your post can cause a great deal of confusion for somebody who doesn't fully understand the concept.

If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying this.
    ma = F - mg
    F = ma + mg
    F = m(a+g) <----- like my post said
  11. Apr 5, 2004 #10
    Yes, and why would my post cause confusion? Your post confuses me. :wink: I just thought it would be better to show how to get to the solution you posted, so that in future problems he can do the same.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?