Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    EMERGENCY - What is....

Plz try to prioritize this...Thx a lot

I have realized that my whole life, I have been answering one question w/ another question. That is why we never completely understand anything.

I want to know, what is respect. But the dictionary always give the answer by putting other terms, more like synonyms. Ex. attitude of admiration. I have seen same thing in biology, they answer one thing w/ another question.

What I have came to understand is that we always guess at the meaning of words as all of us interpret in our own ways. When we were kids, we had to figure words out by their repitition and usage of it. We guessed it, and then when we learn another language, we use the same closed minded principle by using translative dictionary.

So the reason to all of us, each word means a little different is b/c we don't really know what any word fundamentally means. So I am here to understand only one word today...just to see if I can understand it. What is respect?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2
    I think the two main definitions used are these:

1. When person A respects person B, person A believes that person B has qualities that others should have, including what person A should have. This typically leads to a desire by person A to be more like, or continue to be like, person B.

2. Performing actions or speaking words as if there is respect, whether there is or not.
  4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    *Punches you in the face*

"The opposite of that"

Seriously, I don't know how else to explain it without using other words...?!?
  5. Sep 24, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Respect... I've pondered the same question. Here's what I got.

RE (regarding) or ("re" as in "re-visiting) SPECT (to see as in "spectacle")

So what I got out of it was..... you re-visit your opinion of something you've been privy to or something you have seen... and this is probably the original use of the word...

For instance one can use the word in a sentence that refers to an event or thing "in this respect"... meaning "in this category" or.... "with respect to this sort of thing which you may have experienced." When I want you to pay your respects to something or someone I want you to re-visit the pros and cons of your experience with them or it.

Since its original inception, the word "respect" has been used more as a tool by authority and heirarchy seekers.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  6. Sep 24, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, no the fact that you answer one equation with another is no reason why we never undstand anything! It may well be the reason why the people you talk to never understand you.

?? I didn't see any question there. I assume you mean that the words in the answer cause you to queston their meaning. That is again a statement about you not about the dictionary.

?? Yes, in order to understand the definition of a word in a dictionary, you have to understand the meaning of the words in the dictionary. The whole point of the dictionary is to use simpler words. If you do not understand those simpler words, then you should learn the language before you try to use the dictionary.
  7. Sep 25, 2007 #6
    You must calculate in the fact that the word respect is just an inadiquate word that the English Language Has created to attempt to converse the idea of _____________. There are really no words to perfectly describe another word, hence the need for that word. Conversation through unspoken Ideas is another matter all together...

"Speaking through thoughts rather than words would be a much more compllete way of speaking, seeing as we frequently think that way (I hope). Then again, we do tend to think in languages, as well as words, so perhaps Pictures Are the better way of conversing.

(Notice how good I am at arguing with myself.)
  8. Sep 25, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The very first, simplest form of "definition" is just pointing at something.
  9. Sep 25, 2007 #8

Gold Member

The root of "respect" appears to be "spect" which is why I'm saying that when one re-spects something one "looks" (spectates) again (re)

Oxford Dictionary
  10. Sep 25, 2007 #9
    What is the original question?

1. Something concerning you answering questions with questions

2. Definition of respect.
  11. Sep 26, 2007 #10

See Socrates and his ideas on what a definition is in respect to what an example of a definition is.

"What is respect?"
    "See that man bowing? That's respect."
    "No thats not. Thats an example of respect. But what is respect?"
  12. Sep 27, 2007 #11

Respect is what it means to you, and how your action shows it. Good luck with your quest.
  13. Sep 27, 2007 #12
    Aretha Franklin alreasdy asked that years ago. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me" :-p
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  14. Sep 27, 2007 #13

Gold Member

I believe (and all posts here should surely begin with that)...

that respect is act of giving more weight to what that person/object can teach you.

If a person, that person's opinion or advice (say, because they are wise, or because they kept you alive for the first 18 years of your life) will be given a greater than average proportion of "vote" in your mind than someone else (such as your criminal cousin).

If an object, the properties of that object (such as pointy and red hot) will be given a greater than average proportion of vote as to your actions around it than other objects (such as gerbils).

It is not an eloquent or pithy definition, but I think it hits the mark.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  15. Sep 27, 2007 #14
    Its when you treat something as an end, not as a means to an end.
  16. Sep 28, 2007 #15

Gold Member

If the title of this thread is a scream for help then its a false alarm and the perpetrator has never returned. This is, respectfully and in retrospect... a waste of pixels.
  17. Sep 28, 2007 #16

Gold Member

Skhandelwal is one of the most prolific question-askers that's been here in the last few weeks.

Like I said before, he has the kind of inquisitiveness teachers dream about in their students.
  18. Sep 28, 2007 #17
    Inquisitiveness is good. It is better when accompanied by some sign of follow through. That would show if the input of participants has had some effect or was indeed just wasted pixels...

I was also wondering what the emergency was.
  19. Sep 28, 2007 #18

Gold Member

Well, Dave's right... the inquisitiveness is catching... and so we bring some ideas to the table... and so... sometimes there are new ways of seeing things even though the original questioner has since been satisfied.

For instance, a child might ask a question, then forget about the whole motivation, while you are busy looking up answers that eventually satisfy yourself...

Again, for instance... I realize now that "retrospect" is quite related to "respect" in many ways because I answered the question....

My whining does not do justice to the fact that I have advanced further with this question about the origin's of the word and concept... respect.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?