What Are the Emerging Technologies in the Field of Implantable Medical Devices?

In summary, the speaker is a rising sophomore at an American college studying Physics/Applied Engineering Physics. They are currently working at a venture capital company for the summer and have been tasked with finding an industry or technology to research for the next month. This research will also help them decide on a scientific research topic for their undergraduate studies. The speaker mentions the potential for long term job opportunities with the venture capital company and suggests looking into the field of implantable medical devices, specifically in the areas of nanotechnology and electronics.
Apple96
I'd greatly appreciate for any advice.

I'm a rising sophomore at an american college, studying for Physics/Applied Engineering Physics.

During this summer, however, I'm working, or rather studying, at a venture capital company. My assignment right now is to find an industry/technology that I want to do various research on for the next month--the very industry in which I desire to work as an engineer after graduation.

Therefore, I need to specifically find a future-oriented one that has very high potential. An example can be a flexible display several years ago; although not widely accepted in general market, the technology of flexible display was continuously advanced by scientists funded by visionary businesses, and now their efforts have reached fruition as many prominent companies started to bring marketable flexible displays into the actual market.

This research on the industry/technology will also help me on deciding what scientific research I want to pursue during my undergraduate studying. For instance, my school has a great nanotechnology laboratory; however, since I only took general science courses during my freshman year, I do not have any idea on which particular research is likely to fit my interest.

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
Work at pleasing the venture capital company; they may have a long term job for you.

Implantable medical devices is a truly fascinating field that is starting to take off. You can either go a nanotechnology route (e.g. smart pills, diagnostics) or larger stuff like deep brain stimulators and defibrillators. The electronics and signal processing on these things is amazing. Just an idea to check out.

There is a lot of amazing stuff out there if you look.

1. What is considered an "emerging/promising technology"?

An emerging or promising technology refers to any new and innovative technology that has the potential to significantly impact society and industries in the near future. These technologies are often in the early stages of development and may not be fully commercialized yet.

2. How do scientists and researchers identify emerging technologies?

Scientists and researchers often identify emerging technologies by conducting thorough research and analysis on the current trends and advancements in various fields. They also attend conferences and workshops, collaborate with other experts, and closely monitor the progress of ongoing research projects.

3. What are the potential benefits of emerging technologies?

Emerging technologies have the potential to bring about significant improvements in various aspects of our lives, such as healthcare, transportation, communication, and energy. They can also create new job opportunities and drive economic growth.

4. What are the potential risks and challenges associated with emerging technologies?

As with any new technology, there are risks and challenges associated with emerging technologies. These may include ethical concerns, potential negative impacts on the environment, and potential job displacement. It is important for scientists and policymakers to carefully consider these risks and address them in the development and implementation of these technologies.

5. How can society prepare for the integration of emerging technologies?

Society can prepare for the integration of emerging technologies by investing in education and training programs to ensure that individuals have the necessary skills to work with these technologies. Governments and organizations can also establish regulations and guidelines to ensure the responsible and ethical use of these technologies. Additionally, public awareness and open discussions about emerging technologies can help prepare society for their potential impact.