1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emf and coils

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In each of two coils the rate of change of the magnetic flux in a single loop is the same. The emf induced in coil 1, which has 200 loops, is 2.67 V. The emf induced in coil 2 is 3.78 V. How many loops does coil 2 have?

2. Relevant equations

E=-N(delta Phi/delta t)

3. The attempt at a solution

i tried setting E+N=E+N because the magnetic flux is the same but that was wrong
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    F=d(phi)/dt for ease of writing and I always use V if I'm not using the little epsilon for emf

So you got V1+N1*F=V2+N2*F

you can't just get rid of F like you did. Note that you're actually given enough information to SOLVE for F directly just using the equation you were given, then use it to find N
  4. Feb 19, 2008 #3
    i'm confused what equation do i use to find F? i have no time so how can I use that equation?
  5. Feb 19, 2008 #4
    The equation that you just typed in the relevant equations section. For coil 1 you're given N and E, so certainly you can find the change in flux, then just use that same number for coil 2's E to find N
  6. Feb 19, 2008 #5
    i got 202.67 for the change in flux of the first coil and .01865 for N of the second coil. that doesn't seem like it is right. is it?
  7. Feb 19, 2008 #6
    Nope, for coil 1, you have this equation

E=-N(delta Phi/delta t)

You're given E=2.67, and N=200, so you can solve for dphi/dt, which is gonna be 2.67/200, and a pretty small number
  8. Feb 19, 2008 #7
    ok then 283.15 turns?
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?