EMF and induced current question

In summary, EMF or electromotive force is the force that drives electric current and is related to induced current, which is created by a changing magnetic field. Induced current differs from direct current, which flows continuously in one direction and is used for electronic devices. The strength of induced current is affected by factors such as the strength and speed of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the resistance of the conductor. While everyday exposure to EMF is generally not harmful, high levels of exposure and induced current can have health risks. EMF and induced current are widely used in technology, including generators, wireless charging, and medical devices.
StephenDoty
The rectangular loop in the figure has 1.7×10^−2 ohm resistance. What is the induced at this instant? See picture below. Answer is in terms of I, like 5*I.

emf = Bvl
I= emf/R

B= [[tex]\mu[/tex]_0 / 2*pi] *I * ln(.03/.02) since the magnetic field goes through the loop from 2cm to 3cm

then I used this magnitude in emf=B*10*.04 and then used the emf to find the induced current:

I = emf/ (1.7*10^-2)

However, the answer I got using these calculations was incorrect. What did I do wrong?

Thanks.
Stephen

Attachments

• loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to include the factor of 4π in your equation for B. The correct equation should be:B = [\mu_0 / (4*pi)] *I * ln(.03/.02) Once you include this factor, you should get the correct answer.

Your calculations seem to be correct, but there may be a small mistake in converting the units. The units for magnetic field are Tesla (T), and the units for length are meters (m). So when you calculate B = μ0/2π * I * ln(0.03/0.02), the result should be in units of T*m, not just T. This may be the reason why your final answer is incorrect. To get the correct answer in terms of I, you can simply multiply the result by the length of the loop (0.04m). So the final equation would be I = (B * 0.04) / (1.7 * 10^-2). This should give you the correct answer of 5I.

1. What is EMF and how is it related to induced current?

EMF stands for electromotive force and it is the force that drives electric current. When there is a change in magnetic field, it can induce an electric current in a conductor. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and it is the basis for how generators and transformers work.

2. How is induced current different from direct current?

Induced current is created by a changing magnetic field, while direct current flows continuously in one direction. Direct current is typically used for electronic devices such as batteries, while induced current is used in generators to produce electricity.

3. What factors affect the strength of induced current?

The strength of induced current depends on several factors including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the change in magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the resistance of the conductor. A stronger magnetic field or a faster change in the field will result in a stronger induced current. More turns in the conductor and lower resistance will also increase the strength of induced current.

4. Can EMF and induced current be harmful to humans?

The EMF produced by everyday electronic devices is generally not strong enough to cause harm to humans. However, high levels of exposure to EMF, such as those found near power lines or in certain occupations, have been linked to health concerns. Induced current can also be harmful if it causes electric shocks or burns. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure to high levels of EMF.

5. How is EMF and induced current used in technology?

EMF and induced current have many practical applications in technology. As mentioned earlier, generators and transformers use electromagnetic induction to produce electricity. Induced current is also used in wireless technology, such as inductive charging for smartphones and electric toothbrushes. Additionally, EMF and induced current play a crucial role in many medical devices and imaging techniques, such as MRI machines and pacemakers.