EMF and Internal Resistance (1)

In summary, the question involves a torch bulb with a marked voltage of 2.5V and current of 0.3A. When connected to a dry battery with an electromotive force of 3.0V, the correct potential difference of 2.5V is produced. The task is to calculate the internal resistance of the battery. The relevant equation is I=V/R, and the answer is 1.67. However, the working out must be shown.
SJN

Homework Statement

A torch bulb is marked 2.5V and 0.3A. When it is connected to a dry battery of e.m.f 3.0V the correct p.d of 2.5V is produced across it. Calculate the internal resistance if the battery.

Homework Equations

I=V/R?

The Attempt at a Solution

It's on paper - sorry!Answer = 1.67 - But how you get to that is the question - working out must be shown.

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SJN said:
Answer = 1.67 - But how you get to that is the question - working out must be shown.
We do not provide solutions here. We will help you will your homework, but you have to show some effort first, by typing out your attempted solution for example.

The same goes for your other thread, "I don't know how to start" isn't an attempted solution.

OK Sorry,

It's just I tried to find my tutor today, and couldn't see him, so I'm a little puzzled.

Not to worry, have a good day.

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the energy produced by a source such as a battery or generator. It can also be described as the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit.

2. How is EMF measured?

EMF is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel with the source of EMF to measure the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

3. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance is the resistance within a source of EMF, such as a battery, that hinders the flow of current. It is caused by factors such as the material and size of the source's internal components.

4. How does internal resistance affect the performance of a circuit?

Internal resistance can cause a decrease in the output voltage of a source, leading to a decrease in the current flowing through the circuit. This can result in reduced efficiency and performance of the circuit.

5. How can internal resistance be reduced?

Internal resistance can be reduced by using materials with lower resistance for the internal components of the source, as well as by decreasing the size of these components. Additionally, using larger and more efficient sources of EMF can also help reduce internal resistance.