EMF and standard electrode potential

In summary: Substituting the values in the equation, we get:Ecell = 1.602 V - (8.314 J/mol*K * 298 K)/(2 * 9.6485 * 10^4 C/mol) * ln (1) = 1.6137 VTherefore, the emf of the cell at 298K is 1.6137 V.To calculate the change in Gibbs energy at 298K, we can use the following equation:∆G = -nF EcellWhere n is the number of moles of electrons transferred in the cell reaction, and F is Faraday's constant.Substituting the values in the equation, we get:
Tonttu

Homework Statement

This question is my translation but there should be all info needed.

First part:
Calculate the emf and standard electrode potential of the cell Zn/ZnO/KOH(aq)/Ag2O/Ag

ZnO(s)+H2O(l)+2e- =>Zn(s)+2OH-(aq) E=-1,26V
Ag2O(s)+H2O(l)+2e- =>2Ag(s)+OH-(aq) E=0,342V

Second part(same cell as above)
T(K): 273K; 291K; 298K; 303K; 309K
E(V): 1,6160V; 1,6143V; 1,6137V; 1,6132V; 1,6126V

Calculate emf and change in gibbs energy in temperature 298K.

Homework Equations

Nerst equation: E=Eo-((RT)/(ZF))*ln K

The Attempt at a Solution

First part:
Zn+Ag2I=>ZnO+2Ag E=1,602V
I don't know if emf and Standard electrode potential is same thing here. If so then why?

Second part:
I don't know if i should use Nerst equation here but how when i don't know K or concentrations yet?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you with your inquiry.

Firstly, to answer your question about emf and standard electrode potential, they are not exactly the same thing. Emf (electromotive force) is a measure of the energy difference between two electrodes in a cell, while standard electrode potential is a measure of the potential difference between a standard hydrogen electrode and the electrode in question. In this case, we are dealing with a standard cell, so the emf and standard electrode potential will be the same.

To calculate the emf and standard electrode potential of the cell Zn/ZnO/KOH(aq)/Ag2O/Ag, we can use the following equation:

Ecell = Ered (cathode) - Ered (anode)

Where Ered is the reduction potential of the respective electrode. Using the reduction potentials given in the question, we can calculate the emf and standard electrode potential as follows:

Ecell = (0.342 V) - (-1.26 V) = 1.602 V

Therefore, the emf and standard electrode potential of the cell Zn/ZnO/KOH(aq)/Ag2O/Ag is 1.602 V.

Moving on to the second part of the question, we can use the Nernst equation to calculate the emf at different temperatures. The Nernst equation is as follows:

Ecell = E°cell - (RT/nF) ln Q

Where E°cell is the standard cell potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, n is the number of moles of electrons transferred in the cell reaction, F is Faraday's constant, and Q is the reaction quotient.

In this case, we can use the values given in the question to calculate the emf at different temperatures. The reaction quotient (Q) can be calculated by using the concentrations of the species involved in the cell reaction. Since the concentrations are not given in the question, we can assume that they are all 1 M. Therefore, we can calculate Q as follows:

Q = [Zn2+][OH-]^2/[Ag+]^2

Substituting the values in the equation, we get:

Q = (1)(1)^2/(1)^2 = 1

Now, we can use the Nernst equation to calculate the emf

I will provide an explanation and solution to the given homework statement.

The first part of the question asks to calculate the emf and standard electrode potential of the cell Zn/ZnO/KOH(aq)/Ag2O/Ag. The standard electrode potential (Eo) is the potential difference between a half-cell and a standard hydrogen electrode under standard conditions. It is a measure of the tendency of a half-cell to lose or gain electrons. In this case, the standard electrode potential can be calculated by adding the standard reduction potentials of the half-reactions involved in the cell.

Using the given reduction potentials, we can calculate the standard electrode potential of the cell as follows:

Eo(Zn) = -1.26V
Eo(Ag2O) = 0.342V

Eo(cell) = Eo(Ag2O) - Eo(Zn) = 0.342V - (-1.26V) = 1.602V

Hence, the standard electrode potential of the cell is 1.602V.

Moving on to the second part of the question, we are asked to calculate the emf and change in Gibbs energy at a temperature of 298K. Since the given temperatures are all above 273K, we can assume that the reactions are taking place under standard conditions. Therefore, we can use the Nernst equation to calculate the emf at 298K:

E = Eo - (RT/nF)lnQ

Where,
Eo = standard electrode potential (calculated in the first part)
R = gas constant (8.314 J/mol*K)
T = temperature (298K)
n = number of electrons transferred (2 in this case)
F = Faraday's constant (96485 C/mol)
Q = reaction quotient (ratio of products to reactants)

To calculate Q, we need to know the concentrations of the species involved in the cell reaction. However, since the concentrations are not given, we can assume that they are all at their standard state (1M for aqueous solutions and 1 atm for gases). Therefore, Q = 1 and lnQ = 0.

Thus, the Nernst equation becomes:

E = Eo - (RT/nF)lnQ
= 1.602V - [(8.314 J/mol*K)(298K)/(2*96485 C/mol)](0)
=

What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force, and it is a measure of the potential difference between two electrodes in an electrochemical cell. It is a measure of the cell's ability to generate an electric current.

What is standard electrode potential?

Standard electrode potential is the measure of the voltage between a half-cell and a standard hydrogen electrode. It is used to compare the relative reactivity of different electrode materials in a specific electrochemical reaction.

How is EMF measured?

EMF is typically measured using a voltmeter, which is connected to the two electrodes in the electrochemical cell. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between the electrodes, which is then used to calculate the EMF.

What factors affect EMF?

The EMF of an electrochemical cell is affected by several factors, including the types of materials used for the electrodes, the concentrations of the reactants and products, and the temperature of the cell.

What is the Nernst equation and how is it related to EMF?

The Nernst equation is an equation that relates the standard electrode potential of a cell to the concentrations of the reactants and products in the cell. It is used to calculate the EMF of a cell under non-standard conditions.