1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emf and Terminal Voltage

1. Feb 2, 2004 #1
    Okay here is the question:

a) what is the internal resistance of a voltage source if its terminal voltage drops by 2 V when the current supplied increases by 5 A.

b) Can the emf of the voltage source be found with the information supplied?

I know that E = V - Ir, and I am pretty sure that a simple algebraic equation can be put together. So what formulat am I missing??

Thanks
    Nautica

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You know that E = V - Ir so ΔE= ΔV- ΔI r. You are told that ΔE= 2volts when &Dekta;I= -5 amps. Of course, ΔV= 0 since the voltage source is fixed.
    Thatis: 2= -5r. Can you solve for r now? :smile:.

The answer to b is NO. In effect V is the "constant of integration" when you "integrate" dE= -rdI. There is no way to find that from the information given.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  4. Feb 2, 2004 #3
    I am in College Physics, we can not use calculus for an answer. So is there a reason algebraically.

thanks
    nautica

5. Feb 3, 2004 #4
    If u know the potential diff b/w two terminals, then u can find the emf.

With this information u cannot find

6. Feb 3, 2004 #5
    So ther is no way to find emf without Potential difference???

thanks
    nautica

7. Feb 4, 2004 #6
    Okay For a) here is what I got

V=E-Ir

or dV=dE - dIr

2V = -5r

so r = -.4Ohms

BUT, my instructor said this was wrong b/c there I did not no the Rload and there are too many unknowns for this to be solved.

I can see how part B could not be solved but this looked so simple for part a)

He said this was the other equation I should have considered, but I do not see why it was needed.

I = E / (Rload + r)

Thanks
    nautica

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?