What is the electric field in a circular region using Faraday's law?

In summary, the problem involves using Faraday's law to find the induced emf in a circle with radius a, given the magnetic field ##\vec{B}(x,y,t) = B_0 \cos (\pi x/L) \cos(\pi y /L) \sin (\omega t) \hat{k}##. The solution involves manipulating the equations to find the induced emf, using the dot product and integrating over the surface area of the circle.
Ashley1nOnly

Homework Statement

upload_2017-2-24_11-8-43.png

The region is a circle with radius=a

Homework Equations

upload_2017-2-24_11-8-58.png

Using Faraday's law to find E.

The Attempt at a Solution

Dealing with the Left side of the second equation first
1.) Pull out the Partial/partial t because it is a constant in this equation
2.) Now I have B dot (n-hat) da
3.) Using the dot product I know that I have |B||da|cos(theta)
4.) the angle between them is zero so I have B*da
5.) I can pull B out and integrate over the area of the circle which gives me A=2(pi)(r)^2 =2(pi)(a)^2
6.) Now I have
-[2(pi)(a)^2 * Partial(B)/partial t] this is also equal to equation 1 our emf induced
7.) Taking the partial of B with respect to t gives me
-[2(pi)(a)^2 *
upload_2017-2-24_11-21-14.png
]

Now I deal with the right side of equation 2 which is equal to 7.)

[/B]
8.) I know that E is parallel to dl and that I can pull E out
9.) Now I integrate over dl which just gives me

E*2(pi)(r)= -[2(pi)(a)^2 *
upload_2017-2-24_11-21-14.png
]

of course excluding the B(x,y,t).

Then I divide by 2(pi)r)
Which will give me E if I did everything correctly

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-24_11-19-56.png
    upload_2017-2-24_11-19-56.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
Ashley1nOnly said:
5.) I can pull B out and integrate over the area of the circle ...
Is B constant over the surface area of the circle?

Yes

Ashley1nOnly said:
Yes
I think not. The question says ##\vec{B}(x,y,t) = B_0 \cos (\pi x/L) \cos(\pi y /L) \sin (\omega t) \hat{k}##. At different values of x and y inside the circle the field has different values.

Well we don't usually do anything that's not constant because it would make it complicated. We always deal with constant things. So my assumption since it was not stated was that B was constant

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic field. It is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects and is responsible for the electromagnetic force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

2. How is EMF measured?

EMF is typically measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) for electric fields and tesla (T) for magnetic fields. Specialized equipment, such as EMF meters, can be used to measure the strength of EMF in a given area.

3. What is the difference between EMF and electric fields?

EMF is a broader term that encompasses both electric and magnetic fields. Electric fields are created by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving charges. Both electric and magnetic fields are components of EMF.

4. How does EMF affect the human body?

The effects of EMF on the human body are still being studied and debated. Some studies have shown a potential link between EMF exposure and certain health issues, such as cancer and neurological disorders. However, more research is needed to fully understand the impact of EMF on human health.

5. How can I reduce my exposure to EMF?

There are a few ways to reduce your exposure to EMF. You can limit your use of electronic devices, especially those that emit high levels of EMF, such as cell phones and microwaves. You can also keep a safe distance from high-voltage power lines and other sources of EMF. Additionally, you can use EMF shielding materials or protective devices to reduce your exposure.