1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EMF Generation

1. Apr 2, 2009 #1
    To star this post off, I would like to say that I am in not an expert in any field of physics but I do have an interest.

So, my question is... Can the human body produce an EM field that is strong enough to affect electronic devices?

Examples.

computers- I'm pretty competent with them but for what ever reason they do not seem agree with me. Not just my own, but ever computer i touch seems to get glichy when I'm using it.

street lights- I have had 5 streets lights in a row turn off while walking by them.

I am willing to accept this as coincidence so any answer would be appreciated, but not smart-*** ones.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2009 #2
    Especially during dry cold winter days, the human body can easily produce a static electricity discharge capable of damaging electronic equipment.

From firsthand experience:

As I touched a Compaq laptop's plastic case a number of years ago, I got a healthy static shock, which instantly blew out the laptop's system board. I had to order another system board, as the one that blew out wouldn't even power up after that (deader than a door nail). All day long I was touching ground to discharge myself and I had done so just a minute or so prior to touching the laptop, but the least little movement in that leather chair was charging me right back up again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook