1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emf in AC generator?

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The armature of an AC generator is rotating at a constant speed of 30 revolutions/second in a horizontal field of flux density 1.0Wb/m^2. The diameter of the cylindrical armature is 24cm and its length is 40cm. What is the maximum emf induced in the armature having 30 turns?

2. Relevant equations
    emf=-magnetic flux rate although this problem is more about magnitude

3. The attempt at a solution
    The generator is rotating at 0.033seconds/period. The area facing the magnetic field follows a sin curve. The full area is (0.12m)^2*pi=0.045m^2 The sine curve has angular frequency b given by 2*pi/b=0.033seconds/period. So b=188.5 Hence the area is given by 0.045m^2*sin(188.5t)

The magnetic flux rate is dA/dt * B

dA/dt =0.045m^2*188.5*cos(188.5t)=8.48*cos(188.5t)

max magnetic flux rate = 8.48*30 = 254.5V which includes the 30 turns. The answer stated 543V. Why?
    When doing the problem I have not used the length of the cylindrical armature which stands at 0.4m. I don't know where I could use it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2007 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The cylindrical armature is spinning on its long axis and the wire is wrapped in square loops around its length each measuring 24 x 40 cm. So each loop has an area of .24x.4 = .096 m^2.

4. Feb 4, 2007 #3
    So the wires are not wrapped around in circles but in rectangles with an area vector perpendicular to the 2 circlular faces of the cylinder. In fact the area vector of the 2 circular faces act as the axis of rotation and the area vector of the rectangle formed by the wires spin in a circlee and come back to the same position every 360 degrees.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?