Calculating Induced EMF from AM Radio Station at 4 Miles Away

In summary, the problem involves calculating the amplitude of the electric field induced by a 4000 W AM radio station at a distance of 4 miles from the transmitter. Using the equations I = P/(4 pi r^2) and I = {E_{rms}}^2/(c\mu_0), the rms value of the electric field can be calculated. Multiplying this value by the length of the 65 cm dipole antenna will give the voltage induced across the antenna. The only uncertainty is whether there is a factor of two involved in this calculation.
thenewbosco
Here is the question i am working on:

An AM radio station broadcasts with average power 4000 W in all directions. A dipole receiving antenna 65 cm long is at a location 4 miles from the transmitter. Compute the amplitude of the emp that is induced be this signal between the ends of the antenna.

I know that the intensity of power falls off as [tex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex] but i am not sure how to get the power at 4 miles.

i see on a website that intensity of an EM wave a distance r from the source is [tex]I=\frac{P_s}{4\pi r^2}[/tex] and also that [tex]I=\frac{I{E_{rms}}^2}{c\mu_0}[/tex]. I was thinking to equate these two expressions but i do not know what the I and Erms refer to in the second equation. thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming an isotropic radiation pattern (as the problem implies), the 4kW of power will uniformly be going through a spherical area at the 4 mile radius. That will give you a power density, which should give you the E-field. The 65cm antenna is way the heck off resonance for the US AM broadcast band, so you will use "electrically small" dipole antenna equations to calculate the terminal voltage given that electric field intensity... Does your textbook cover electrically small dipole antennas?

no i do not have the equations, in fact the only equations i have are the ones i have mentioned in the question, i would be grateful if you could show me the equations to use in this problem

thenewbosco said:
Here is the question i am working on:

An AM radio station broadcasts with average power 4000 W in all directions. A dipole receiving antenna 65 cm long is at a location 4 miles from the transmitter. Compute the amplitude of the emp that is induced be this signal between the ends of the antenna.

I know that the intensity of power falls off as [tex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/tex] but i am not sure how to get the power at 4 miles.

i see on a website that intensity of an EM wave a distance r from the source is [tex]I=\frac{P_s}{4\pi r^2}[/tex] and also that [tex]I=\frac{I{E_{rms}}^2}{c\mu_0}[/tex]. I was thinking to equate these two expressions but i do not know what the I and Erms refer to in the second equation. thanks for the help.

You have a typo in the sceond equation. There is no I on the right hand side. It is [tex]I=\frac{{E_{rms}}^2}{c\mu_0}[/tex]. The I on the left side is the same I appearing in P/(4 pi r^2).

As for E_RMS, it is simply [itex] E_{max}/ {\sqrt{2}} [/itex].

So, with the distance and the power of the source, you can find I and then calculate the rms value of the electric field.

I am not totally sure what the question is asking...the voltage induced in he antenna? Or what else?

Pat

yes, the voltage induced across the antenna is what it is asking i believe

thenewbosco said:
yes, the voltage induced across the antenna is what it is asking i believe

Ok. Then the rms voltage across the antenna is I think simply the value of the rms electric field at that point times the length of the antenna. The only thing I am not 100% sure about is whether there is a factor of two in this relation, but the voltage is for sure the Efield times the length of the antenna (apart possibly a factor of 2).

Patrick

thanks for the help, i have gotten the correct answer

1. What is the relationship between EM waves and induced EMF?

EM waves and induced EMF are closely related, as EM waves are able to induce an EMF (electromotive force) in a conductor through which they pass. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many important technologies, such as generators and transformers.

2. How is EMF induced by an EM wave?

EMF is induced by an EM wave through the process of electromagnetic induction. This occurs when the changing magnetic field of the EM wave passes through a conductor, creating a flow of electrons and resulting in an induced EMF.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by several factors, including the strength of the EM wave, the speed at which it is traveling, the angle at which it intersects with the conductor, and the properties of the conductor itself (such as its length and material).

4. Can induced EMF be harmful?

In most cases, induced EMF is not harmful. However, exposure to high levels of EMF, such as those produced by power lines or high-voltage equipment, can potentially have negative health effects. It is important to follow safety guidelines and precautions when working with or near sources of high EMF.

5. How is induced EMF used in technology?

Induced EMF has many practical applications in technology. It is used in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, and in transformers to increase or decrease the voltage of an electrical current. It is also used in various wireless communication technologies, such as radio and television broadcasting.