How Is EMF Induced in a Moving Conductor Calculated?

In summary, we have a metal wire sliding on a horseshoe-shaped loop with negligible resistance, a 1Ω resistor, and a 6 volt battery in the circuit. The wire is pushed to the right by a 0.5 T magnetic field and a force of 0.25 N is required to maintain a constant speed. The current in the circuit is 2 amps, the voltage drop across the resistor is 2 volts, and the induced emf is also 2 volts. The wire is moving at a speed of 16 m/s and the mechanical power produced by the motor is 4 watts. After subtracting the power dissipated in the resistor (also 4 watts), we see that the total electrical
resvordog
Might have posted this in the wrong place before.

A metal wire slides on a horseshoe-shaped metal loop of width 0.25 m. The loop has negligible resistance, but there is a 1Ω resistor in the circuit as well as a 6 volt battery. There is a uniform magnetic field directed into the plane of the page of magnitude 0.5 T. The slide wire is pushed to the right by the magnetic force. A force of 0.25 N to the left is required to keep it moving a constant speed to the right, i.e. 0.25 N balances the magnetic force.

(a) What is the current in the circuit?
(b) What is the voltage drop across the resistor?
(c) What is the induced emf generated by the moving wire?
(d) With what speed is the wire moving?
(e) What mechanical power (i.e., Fv) does the motor produce?
(f) Subtract from the total electrical power input, the power dissipated in the resistor and compare to the mechanical power.

Relevant equations
F=IlB F=((B^2)(l^2)/R) x v V=IR emf=Blv P=Fv P(dissapated)=(I^2)R

The attempt at a solution
(a) 0.25=I(0.25m)(0.5T) I=2amps
(b) V=(2A)(1Ω) V= 2 volts
(c) 0.25N=((0.5^2)(0.25^2)/(1Ω)) x v
v=16m/s emf=Blv=(0.5T)(0.25m)(16m/s)= 2 volts
(d) v=16m/s
(e) P=(0.25N)(16m/s)= 4 watts
(f) total power input = VI= 2volts x 2 amps = 4 watts
4 watts - 4 watts = 0 watts
0 watts ≠ 4 watts

No idea if I did this right. Please help me! Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Based on the information provided, it seems that you have correctly solved parts (a) to (d) of the problem. However, there are a few errors in your solution for part (e) and (f).

For part (e), it is important to note that the mechanical power produced by the motor is equal to the force applied multiplied by the velocity of the slide wire, not the other way around. So the correct solution would be P = (0.25 N)(16 m/s) = 4 watts.

For part (f), you have correctly calculated the total electrical power input to be 4 watts. However, the power dissipated in the resistor should be (2 A)^2 x 1 Ω = 4 watts, not (I^2)R. So the final comparison would be 4 watts - 4 watts = 0 watts, which is equal to the mechanical power produced by the motor.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies! (Scientist)

1. What is EMF (Electromotive Force)?

EMF is the force that causes the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, in a circuit. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts.

2. How is EMF induced in a moving conductor?

EMF is induced in a moving conductor when the conductor cuts through magnetic field lines. This movement creates a change in magnetic flux, which in turn generates an electric field and subsequently an EMF.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of the conductor and the induced EMF?

The faster the conductor moves through the magnetic field, the greater the change in magnetic flux and the higher the induced EMF. This relationship is described by the equation EMF = velocity x magnetic field strength x length of the conductor.

4. How does the direction of the conductor's motion affect the induced EMF?

The direction of the conductor's motion relative to the direction of the magnetic field determines the polarity of the induced EMF. If the motion is perpendicular to the field, the induced EMF will be at its maximum. If the motion is parallel or anti-parallel to the field, the induced EMF will be zero.

5. What are some real-world applications of EMF induced in a moving conductor?

EMF induced in a moving conductor is the principle behind the operation of electric generators, which convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is also used in devices such as microphones, speakers, and magnetic levitation trains. Additionally, this phenomenon is the basis for electromagnetic induction, which is used in many household appliances such as induction cooktops and wireless chargers.