1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emf max for a guitar string.

1. Oct 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Review problem. A flexible metallic wire with linear density 3.00 multiplied by 10-3 kg/m is stretched between two fixed clamps 64.0 cm apart and held under tension 301 N. A magnet is placed near the wire as shown in Figure P31.25. Assume that the magnet produces a uniform field of 5.00 mT over a 2.00 cm length at the center of the wire and a negligible field elsewhere. The wire is set vibrating at its fundamental (lowest) frequency. The section of the wire in the magnetic field moves with a uniform amplitude of 1.50 cm.

(b) Find the amplitude of the electromotive force (emfmax) induced between the ends of the wire.

2. Relevant equations

Emf = BA

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not quite sure I am doing the problem correctly. I had the area being 3.00cm X 2.00cm but that's not correct nor do I actually believe the above equation is the correct equation. I assume the equation needs to have a sine or a cosine in it, but we are needing to find Emfmax so that's not too important right? Thanks for the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correction to your equation:

Emf = \frac{d}{dt} (BA)

Since B is constant, the problem comes down to finding dA/dt.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?