What Energy or Frequency Affects Electronic Appliances?

In summary, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) was established in 1934 to regulate non-governmental use of communications and the radio spectrum. Part 15 of the FCC rules, also known as Title 47 CFR Part 15, specifically addresses unlicensed transmissions and includes regulations for electronic devices to prevent harmful interference and accept any interference received. The frequency that can create changes in electronic appliances, such as thermostats and TVs, can vary depending on the type of appliance and the desired change. However, placing a magnet on a TV screen can create changes in color by distorting the image. Caution should be taken when doing this as it can permanently damage the TV.
cylent
Can anyone tell me which sort of energy or frequency is able to create a change in electronic appliances… such as thermostats and TV’s etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Federal Communications Commission

You'll often see on any digital apparatus a quote from Part 15 of the FCC rules: "(1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation." I think the answer to your question is through this.

The FCC was started in 1934 to regulate all non-governmental use of communications and use of the radio spectrum. "Title 47 CFR Part 15" as it is officially called, looks mostly as unlicensed transmissions. I think this is your best bet.

Here are a few pointers.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Part_15_(FCC_rules )

Be safe

Alexandre Colavin

Last edited by a moderator:
cylent said:
Can anyone tell me which sort of energy or frequency is able to create a change in electronic appliances… such as thermostats and TV’s etc?
This is a bit vauge since you're unclear about what kind of changes you're interested in. Of you took a magnet and placed it on the TV screen of a picture tube (not a plasma or LED display though) then you will see the colors become distorted. In this case the frequency is zero.

Note: Please use caution when placing the magnet on the screen. If it is there too long or is done too often then it can permantly distort the image.

Pete

1. What is the impact of high frequency on electronic appliances?

High frequency can cause interference and disruptions in the functioning of electronic appliances. It can also lead to overheating and damage to the internal components, resulting in malfunctions or even failure.

2. Can low frequency affect the performance of electronic appliances?

Yes, low frequency can cause flickering or dimming of lights, slow or erratic operation of devices, and possible interference with wireless signals.

3. How does electromagnetic energy affect electronic appliances?

Electromagnetic energy can induce voltage and current in electronic appliances, which can interfere with their normal functioning. It can also cause overheating and damage to sensitive components.

4. Are certain types of electronic appliances more susceptible to energy or frequency interference?

Yes, devices with sensitive components such as computers, televisions, and audio equipment are more susceptible to energy or frequency interference. These devices also emit electromagnetic energy themselves, which can cause interference with other nearby appliances.

5. How can I protect my electronic appliances from energy or frequency disruptions?

You can use surge protectors and voltage regulators to protect your appliances from sudden spikes in energy or voltage. You can also keep electronic devices away from sources of high frequency or electromagnetic energy, such as power lines or other electronic devices.