Optimizing EMG Circuit Design: Tips and Parameters for Improved Performance

It's best avoided unless you are an expert.In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a circuit for EMG detection and the issues the speaker is facing with getting it to work correctly. They ask for advice on the parameters to consider for each stage and the values of the parameters needed. The conversation also touches on the dangers of experimenting with mains power and the importance of safety in DIY projects.
gokul karat
HAI EVERYONE

i have designed a circuit for emg detection but its not working perfectly. may i know the parameters that to be considered in each stages and what should be the value of each parameters in each stages. (e.g. gain at IN stage =20).

thank you..

Engineering news on Phys.org
gokul karat said:
HAI EVERYONE

i have designed a circuit for emg detection but its not working perfectly. may i know the parameters that to be considered in each stages and what should be the value of each parameters in each stages. (e.g. gain at IN stage =20).

thank you..
What is emg? Thank you.

Possibly Electromyography .

Warning : Definitely not a subject that can be experimented with safely by someone with no medical or technical knowledge .

Last edited:
Nidum said:
Warning : Definitely not a subject that can be experimented with safely by someone with no medical or technical knowledge .

For safety never connect yourself to anything mains powered either directly or indirectly. It's much safer to use batteries (totalling less than 36V) to power any home made projects of this sort.

CWatters said:
For safety never connect yourself to anything mains powered either directly or indirectly. It's much safer to use batteries (totalling less than 36V) to power any home made projects of this sort.
I seem to remember connecting my arm and also my heart to the audio amplifier of a tape recorder when I was in my teens and I could see the voltage from muscle contractions on the magic eye and hear the noise. I also tried it on my brain with no result (!). But it was a mains amplifier! I just took a knowing chance, as we used to play around with high voltages all the time then.

gokul karat said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Where did you get the circuit schematic? How is it powered? What is your background in electronics? What is your background in medical electronics? What are you planning on doing with this EMG device once you get it working well?

tech99 said:
I seem to remember connecting my arm and also my heart to the audio amplifier of a tape recorder when I was in my teens and I could see the voltage from muscle contractions on the magic eye and hear the noise. I also tried it on my brain with no result (!). But it was a mains amplifier! I just took a knowing chance, as we used to play around with high voltages all the time then.

Think I probably did the same. Commercial products like tape recorders and amps should be/are designed so you can safely touch connectors.

The problem with DIY mains powered equipment is that making it safe isn't as simple as buying the power supply part.

1. What is the purpose of optimizing EMG circuit design?

The purpose of optimizing EMG circuit design is to improve the performance and accuracy of electromyography (EMG) measurements. This is important in fields such as biomedical engineering, sports science, and rehabilitation, where precise muscle activity data is necessary for research and diagnostic purposes.

2. What are some tips for optimizing EMG circuit design?

Some tips for optimizing EMG circuit design include using high-quality components, minimizing noise and interference, and carefully selecting amplification and filtering parameters. It is also important to properly calibrate the circuit and use appropriate electrode placement techniques.

3. How does EMG circuit design affect the accuracy of measurements?

The design of an EMG circuit can greatly affect the accuracy of the measurements. A well-designed circuit will minimize noise and interference, improve signal-to-noise ratio, and provide a more accurate representation of muscle activity. On the other hand, a poorly designed circuit can introduce errors and distort the data, leading to inaccurate results.

4. What parameters should be considered when optimizing EMG circuit design?

When optimizing EMG circuit design, some important parameters to consider include electrode type and placement, amplification gain, filter settings, and sampling rate. It is also important to consider the specific requirements of the intended application and adjust the circuit accordingly.

5. How can I test the performance of an EMG circuit?

The performance of an EMG circuit can be tested using various methods, such as measuring signal-to-noise ratio, comparing the recorded data to known muscle activity patterns, and conducting repeatability and accuracy tests. It is also recommended to test the circuit in different conditions and with different subjects to ensure its reliability and accuracy.