What Experiment Did Emilie du Chatelet Perform to Explore Energy?

• Thread starter physics_illiterate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation revolved around the equation for energy and the experiment to prove it using a block of clay, a metal ball, and a measuring device. The topic of "vis vitae" and its relation to kinetic energy was also discussed, with reference to the work of Emilie du Chatelet and her contemporary, Leibniz. The conversation also touched upon the rivalry between Newton and Leibniz and its impact on the development of British mathematics.
physics_illiterate
We are learning about Emilie in physics right now and we are trying to determine if the equation for energy is e=mv or e=mv^2. Obviously we know the answer but I need to prove it using a block of clay a metal ball and a measuring device such as a ruler. I know how to do the experiment but I want to know if anyone knows where I can find information on the original experiment done by Emilie. I have tried google and I get one result if that. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought kinetic energy was 0.5(mv^2)

Yian The Craft said:
I thought kinetic energy was 0.5(mv^2)

If I am not altogether wrong, the concept "vis vitae" (life force), preceded the concept of kinetic energy , and the
"vis vitae" concept was probably the one current at du Chatelet's time.
(I think it was originally crafted by Leibniz)
"vis vitae"=m*v^(2)

Is that not the equation for KE but without the 0.5 at the front?

I never said you were wrong!
Just wanted to note that du Chatelet probably wanted to find out whether it was
mv or mv^(2) which was the important quantity in the problem, i.e. whether momentum or "vis vitae" was the significant parameter in determining the fall length of the ball through the clay.
Sorry if you took offense; none was intended.

"Sorry if you took offense; none was intended."
Strange,I was about to write that same line.In any case,no offense taken.To return to the topic at hand,was Leibnitz not Newton's rival?I think he was,and they often made similar discoveries via different routes,but at about the same time...

Yes, unfortunately they became embittered rivals.
The origin is probably that Newton as a person was rather insecure and suspicious of nature.
There is no doubt that Newton developed calculus or "fluxion arithemetics" as he called it earlier than Leibniz.
However, Newton had the bad habit of "never" publishing, and only circulated his results among a few, select friends (Leibniz was not one of them!).
Hence, when Leibniz on the Continent developed and published his ideas on calculus, Newton immediately suspected him of plagiary,
which no one today thinks Leibniz did.
The net result of the quarrel was that British mathematics developed in isolation from Continental trends, to the detriment of the British..

1. Who was Emilie du Chatelet and why is she important in the study of energy?

Emilie du Chatelet was an 18th-century French mathematician, physicist, and philosopher. She is important in the study of energy because she made significant contributions to the understanding of kinetic energy and the conservation of energy, as well as translating and popularizing Isaac Newton's work on the laws of motion.

2. What is the relationship between Emilie du Chatelet and energy?

Emilie du Chatelet's main focus of study was on energy and its various forms. She conducted experiments and wrote extensively on the subject, contributing to the understanding of energy as a fundamental concept in physics.

3. What is the significance of Emilie du Chatelet's work on energy?

Emilie du Chatelet's work on energy helped to shape our modern understanding of this concept. She introduced the idea of potential energy and helped to clarify the concept of kinetic energy. Her translations of Newton's work also made it more accessible to a wider audience, further advancing the study of energy.

4. How did Emilie du Chatelet's work on energy impact the scientific community?

Emilie du Chatelet's contributions to the study of energy were highly regarded by her contemporaries, and her work is still referenced and studied today. She helped to bridge the gap between the work of Newton and other scientists, and her findings and theories have influenced many subsequent studies on energy.

5. What can we learn from Emilie du Chatelet's theories and experiments on energy?

Emilie du Chatelet's work on energy continues to be relevant and valuable to modern scientists. Her experiments and theories have contributed to our understanding of energy conservation, and her translations and writings have helped to disseminate important scientific concepts to a wider audience. Additionally, her determination and perseverance as a female scientist in a male-dominated field serve as an inspiration to future generations.