Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eminent Domain strikes again

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/10/17/145458.shtml

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2
    I have done work for Centex Homes. They are a very powerful developer. When I worked or them, they were the nations largest builder of residential dwellings.

Not my favorite developer to work for, but that is another story.

This imminent domain thing has gotten way out of control.

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3
    According to a recent supreme court deciscion your property can be taken by a municipality and then resold to a developer or any entity so long as they can develop your property in a manner that produces more tax revenue for the municiaplity that you currently pay.

This gives too much room for the local "good old boy" government to do pretty much what they want.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  5. Oct 18, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

We had a thread on that in the days that the court decision was handed down. Not sure where it is... probably in this same forum section.

6. Oct 18, 2005 #5
    I know. I just wanted to clarify what the OP was talking about.:smile:

7. Oct 18, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Isn't it obvious what this law is about? It sickens me.

8. Oct 18, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I actually question what it is "obviously" about. I mean this is something that seems so obvious and so 'knock you off your feet' insane that there has to be something else to it. It's the kind of stuff you see on snopes or something. It's like walking up to a random person and kicking them in the nuts (and I have actually seen that before! Funniest thing ever!!). Its so outrageous that you just almost know something else is going on here. I gotta take some time out to read the actual decision in full.

9. Oct 18, 2005 #8
    I was kinda under the impression that the "good old boys" would be more behind the person defending the rights to their own property.
    "Best git off m'propty fern I fill yer *** with buckshot!"

10. Oct 18, 2005 #9
    It all begain when cities wanted to condem and rebuild older blighted area. A lot of older long time residents complained. They didn't want to lose the homes that they had lived in for many years.

It ended up before the supreme court and the municipalities got more than they had asked for. They now have the legal authority to condem any property, and allow it to be rebuilt with any business or enterprize that generates more revenue than the previous owner did. The door is left open wide for fraud and corruption. :mad:

This definitely needs a second look. Even Supreme Court deciscions can be oveturned.

11. Oct 18, 2005 #10
    :rofl: You are right "good old boys" was not the best choice of words. I was referring to corruption in local governments and how they seem to frequently be run by a clique. From personel experience I have found that It happens just as frequently in small communities as it does in large cities.

12. Oct 18, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

See, this is why i should be a dictator. You'll never have any of this crap under me and you won't be bothered with having to decide which moron you want to run the country. I'll do it, all of it.

13. Oct 18, 2005 #12
    Oh that would be wonderful. I hate deciding between morons.:wink:

14. Oct 18, 2005 #13
    Dictator, never. President, possibly.:smile:

15. Oct 19, 2005 #14

Astronuc

(from http://www.centex.com/) I wonder how much they have contributed to the Texas Republican Party, Tom Delay and the Bush campaign? :rolleyes:

I remember them from Texas. Cheap materials, cheap labor, generally mediocre to poor quality construction.

The NJ situation sounds more like Racketeering and Corruption than an appropriate application of 'eminent domain'. Of course, local governments are entitled to eminent domain, if the state constitution or laws allowed in the first place.

16. Oct 19, 2005 #15

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's funny that you guys criticize Centex when they are the developer that Segal wanted to hire. AMJM is the local contractor in collusion with the city government.

17. Oct 19, 2005 #16

Astronuc

I am familiar with Centex, not with AMJM.

In any event -

This is just not right, and blantantly so. The fact that AMJM is a local company is irrelevant.

Assuming AMJM is simply going to develop the property in a manner similar to that proposed by Centex means that the Township has no right to take the land. It's not going for public use.

The government has no business being in land development, unless that land is for public use. What we see here are individuals from government using the power of government to do private business, which it would appear benefit the individuals in government and a private developer.

If AMJM wants to develop the land, then they should have offered a better price to Segal than Centex. But it would appear that Segal has already signed a contract.

18. Oct 19, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, it's NJ, corruptest state in the union, and anyone who has ever lived there knows it. Read between the lines..."Mauti family"...who else refers to a "family" when talking about business? This has nothing to do with eminent domain and everything to do with corruption, plain and simple. "Collusion" is an excellent word choice.

19. Oct 19, 2005 #18

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Isn't it amazing how close to reality The Sopranos really is? I'll never forget when I used to drive down to New Brunswick to visit my girlfriend at Rutgers (or South Central New Brunswick, as I called it). There was this place out on Route 1, a restaurant, that was open one day a month. Can a front seriously get any more obvious?

20. Oct 19, 2005 #19
    This is where Teddy Roosevelt's idea about judicial recall by popular vote would have been bloody brilliant.

It seems that NO ONE I've ever talked to likes the way this constitutional clause is interpreted. I hate Democrats for how they are such bastards about this. Democratic people are NOT in favor of government stealing private property from American citizens. Next to no one, save the people who are actually doing the stealing, seems to be in favor of it.

TR was way ahead of his time, but come on, it was nearly 100 years ago that he proposed judicial recall - let's institute it already and get rid of this ridiculous crap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?