How Do Quantum Dots Emit UV Light?

In summary, quantum dots are used in solar cells and have the ability to emit ultra violet light. The excitation needed for quantum dots to emit light depends on the type of quantum dot, but generally requires shorter wavelengths than the desired emission. This makes imaging in patients difficult due to light scattering. Multiphoton excitation may enable excitation with visible light. However, the properties of quantum dots vary greatly depending on the specific type and there is a wide range of applications for them. There is no specific list of quantum dots for certain applications, as they can be used in a variety of ways. Further research can be done on imaging quantum dots in living systems, imaging living systems in general, and multiphoton microscopy.
bluejay27
If quantum dots are placed within the body, what is the excitation needed for us to observe its emission? X-rays?

I have heard that Quantum dots are used in solar cells. How does the process work for the conversion of light to electricity?

I also heard that Quantum dots can emit ultra violet light. What is the energy required to excite these quantum dots to emit ultra violet light?

Physics news on Phys.org
bluejay27 said:
If quantum dots are placed within the body, what is the excitation needed for us to observe its emission? X-rays?

Quantum dot luminescence generally occurs in the visible range of the spectra. This makes imaging in patients difficult as scattering limits the penetration depth of visible light into the human body.

I also heard that Quantum dots can emit ultra violet light. What is the energy required to excite these quantum dots to emit ultra violet light?
This depends on the exact type of QDs used, but in general, you would need wavelengths shorter than those you want the quantum dots to emit (so, excitation would generally require UV wavelengths as well). Multiphoton excitation, however, might enable excitation with visible light.

Likes bluejay27
Note that "quantum dot" is a very generic term and you can't really say anything about the properties unless you specify which type you are referring to. T
he dots I've worked with had transition energies ~100 GHz or so, i.e. orders of magnitude lower than dots used in the visible spectra

Likes bluejay27
Ygggdrasil said:
Quantum dot luminescence generally occurs in the visible range of the spectra. This makes imaging in patients difficult as scattering limits the penetration depth of visible light into the human body.This depends on the exact type of QDs used, but in general, you would need wavelengths shorter than those you want the quantum dots to emit (so, excitation would generally require UV wavelengths as well). Multiphoton excitation, however, might enable excitation with visible light.
Is there an article that talks about this?

f95toli said:
Note that "quantum dot" is a very generic term and you can't really say anything about the properties unless you specify which type you are referring to. T
he dots I've worked with had transition energies ~100 GHz or so, i.e. orders of magnitude lower than dots used in the visible spectra
By any chance do you have a list of quantum dots used for specific application?

bluejay27 said:
By any chance do you have a list of quantum dots used for specific application?
No, and such a list would not really make much sense.

A quantum dot is "class" of quantum systems, the basic theory is actually quite simple but there are LOT of different ways of creating quantum dots and there is a HUGE number of possible (and not-so-possible) applications and they don't really have much in common.

bluejay27 said:
Is there an article that talks about this?
Which topic exactly? Imaging quantum dots in living systems? Imaging living systems in general? Multiphoton microscopy?

1. What are quantum dots?

Quantum dots are tiny semiconductor particles that emit light at a specific wavelength when excited by an external energy source, such as light or electricity.

2. How do quantum dots emit light?

Quantum dots emit light through a process called fluorescence. When excited by an external energy source, electrons in the quantum dots jump to a higher energy level. As they return to their ground state, they release energy in the form of light.

3. What makes quantum dots different from traditional dyes or pigments?

Quantum dots have a unique size-dependent property that allows them to emit light at very specific wavelengths, giving them a much narrower and more precise color range compared to traditional dyes or pigments.

4. What are some applications of quantum dots?

Quantum dots have a wide range of potential applications, including in LED displays, solar cells, medical imaging, and biological labeling.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with the emission of quantum dots?

Some research has shown that certain types of quantum dots may be toxic to living organisms, so proper handling and disposal procedures should be followed to minimize potential risks. However, further studies are needed to fully understand the potential risks of quantum dots.