Which Letter Represents a Star Similar to the Sun Based on Emission Spectra?

In summary: You are correct - there is no linearity in the visible light spectrum. This is why picture B, which portrays spectral lines more in proportion to one another, is more accurate than picture A.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

[/B]
The top spectrum shows part of the Sun's spectrum. State and explain which letter best represents the light from a star that is similar to the Sun.

upload_2018-1-21_13-8-5.png

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally was thinking A but my book says B but only gives numerical answers and no explanation. Even though it mentions nothing about red shift in the question I am thinking it must be implying that this star is showing red shift? All the lines in A have shifted by the same amount and therefore I thought they would be giving off light the same as the Sun. The only guess at why B might be correct was that I was thinking that bigger wavelengths will shift more than shorter wavelengths (this is a logical guess that may be wrong). I thought about it like this. If I give the first line for the Sun a number like 1, then second line 2 and the last line 8. If the space between the Sun and this star doubled for example whilst the light was traveling to us then the wavelength of the first line will be twice as big, the second line 4 times and the last line 16 times. Again, I have no idea if this actually happens as all diagram on google images do not show an increase in the distance between adjacent spectral lines. I am just trying to come up with an idea to fit the answer.

Thanks for any help given.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-21_13-8-5.png
    upload_2018-1-21_13-8-5.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 748
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy87 said:
this is a logical guess that may be wrong
That's where your relevant equation (oops, misssing?) should help you out. Work it out semi quantitatively and you will be able to decide for yourself !

And: any star similar to the sun should be further away than the sun, right ?

BvU said:
That's where your relevant equation (oops, misssing?) should help you out. Work it out semi quantitatively and you will be able to decide for yourself !

And: any star similar to the sun should be further away than the sun, right ?

This equation is the only one we have used:

Δλ/λ = v/c

In this example, Δλ = (λstar - λsun)

So, λstar = vλsun/c + λsun

So according to this (I think), as you consider larger wavelengths from the Sun, the wavelengths of the star will shift by a bigger factor? So my qualitative answer in my OP was also right?

Thanks

Jimmy87 said:
This equation is the only one we have used
And it's the right equation too ! In A you see the long wavelength spectral line move less than the short length ones. In B it looks a bit more in proportion.

Likes Jimmy87
BvU said:
In A you see the long wavelength spectral line move less than the short length ones

Thanks. That is my bad drawing of the textbook question - all the lines in A shift to the right by the same amount. So after what we discussed this diagram I found on the internet must be wrong:

upload_2018-1-21_17-14-18.png

In this diagram the original spacing between spectral lines in the reference frame is maintained but if I am understanding things correctly the spacing must increase because of the " + λreference" term on the end which makes longer wavelengths shift more than shorter ones. Is that right?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-21_17-14-18.png
    upload_2018-1-21_17-14-18.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 383
Ah, but where is ##\lambda = 0## ?

BvU said:
Ah, but where is ##\lambda = 0## ?
It doesn't does it? So does the spacing between adjacent spectral lines increase or not? Otherwise the answer to the OP is wrong.

BvU said:
Funny answer to the question 'where is ##\lambda = 0 ##?' :rolleyes:

You'd have to do some math to claim the picture in the OP is utterly wrong, but even then A is more wrong than B.

By teh way:
##\lambda = 0 ## is far away to the left in the book and in the post #1 picture.

Picture borrowed from https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-range-of-wavelengths-of-visible-light-from-red-to-violet

main-qimg-206f3d5881a812869d26fbdec3fb7a8a.webp
I take it you mean Δλ is zero? So yes I can see that would be the case in the lab reference frame. Why would picture B be technically wrong. I thought the equation is really clear. The bigger the wavelength, the bigger the shift - i.e. spacing between adjacent spectral lines increases.

Jimmy87 said:
I take it you mean Δλ is zero? So yes I can see that would be the case in the lab reference frame. Why would picture B be technically wrong. I thought the equation is really clear. The bigger the wavelength, the bigger the shift - i.e. spacing between adjacent spectral lines increases
I suspect that the wavelength scale is logarithmic in your figure from post #5 (repeated below.).
upload_2018-1-21_17-14-18-png.png

That would make shift for the lines appear to be the same for a given star or galaxy.

Of course it can be argued that the wavelength scale in the original post could be logarithmic, making A the correct response.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-21_17-14-18-png.png
    upload_2018-1-21_17-14-18-png.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Likes Jimmy87
SammyS said:
Of course it can be argued that the wavelength scale in the original post could be logarithmic, making A the correct response
No.

What is the emission spectrum of a star?

The emission spectrum of a star is the unique pattern of light emitted by the star at different wavelengths. It is created when the star's gases and elements absorb energy and then re-emit it as light.

How is the emission spectrum of a star used in astronomy?

Astronomers can use the emission spectrum of a star to determine its chemical composition and temperature. This information can then be used to classify the star and gain insight into its physical properties and stage of evolution.

What causes the different colors in the emission spectrum of a star?

The different colors in the emission spectrum of a star are caused by the specific wavelengths of light that are emitted by the star's gases and elements. Each element has a unique set of energy levels and emits light at specific wavelengths, creating a distinct color in the spectrum.

How does the emission spectrum of a star differ from a continuous spectrum?

A continuous spectrum is a smooth, unbroken band of light that contains all wavelengths, while the emission spectrum of a star contains only specific wavelengths that correspond to the elements present in the star's atmosphere. This results in a series of bright lines or bands in the spectrum, rather than a continuous spread of light.

What can the shape of the emission spectrum tell us about a star?

The shape of the emission spectrum can provide information about the temperature and density of a star's atmosphere. A broad, smooth spectrum indicates a hot, dense atmosphere, while a narrow spectrum with distinct lines indicates a cooler, less dense atmosphere. The shape of the spectrum can also reveal the presence of certain elements in the star's atmosphere.