Understanding Real-World Emission Spectra: Are Solids Similar to Blackbodies?

In summary, the continuum emission spectrum from a solid is determined by the quantum mechanical effects of many atoms in close proximity to one another. The blackbody spectrum is the spectral distribution of an EM field at thermal equilibrium. When the spectrum of a solid is approximated by the blackbody spectrum, this is done under ideal theoretical conditions.
Alexander83
Hi all,

I've got two questions about the emissions spectrum from solids.

Question #1:

I feel like I have a reasonable understanding of line absorption and emission spectrum of low density gases based on transitions of electrons between discrete allowed energy levels in a gas.

I'm trying to understand the production of a continuum emission spectrum from a hot solid. I understand that a key difference between the two cases is that the quantum mechanical effects of many atoms in close proximity to one another is to split electron energy levels and in solids energy levels can form bands where the spacing between energy levels is so close that the energy levels in practice form essentially a continuum.

Is it still valid to think about the emission spectrum of a solid as essentially resulting from electrons dropping from higher to lower energy levels, as they would in a gas, just with essentially a continuous set of energy transitions open to the electron? Is this a reasonably correct model, or am I missing something fundamental here.

Question #2

Often when the continuum spectrum of solids is introduced in textbooks, the next step is to introduce the blackbody spectrum. I understand that blackbodies are theoretical objects which we can only approximate in practice and that the blackbody spectrum is only strictly valid under these ideal theoretical conditions. Yet, I also know that the spectrum of many solids is often approximated by the blackbody spectrum (or a blackbody spectrum modified by including an emissivity factor).

I'm wondering under what conditions it's valid to treat the spectrum of a solid as if it behaved like a blackbody. It seems like something that's done fairly frequently in practice (e.g. infrared thermometers, for example, seem to implicitely assume that blackbody-type radiation flux-temperature relations can apply to real world objects).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Alex.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Handbook of Optics, vol II has several chapters about this. Thermal emission from condensed matter is a lot easier in terms of a continuum model: Kramers-Kronig relations, for example. Quantum behavior can be incorporated into a model of the dielectric function (which has been done in fair detail for semiconductor materials).

As for the blackbody spectrum, it's actually better to think of it as the spectral distribution of an electromagnetic field at thermal equilibrium, rather than to attach it to 'thermal emission'.

Does this help?

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply. I'm still a little confused about the distinction between blackbody radiation and 'thermal emission'. I understand that the blackbody spectrum is formally determined as the spectral distribution of an EM field at thermal equilibrium. However, I was under the impression, perhaps erroneous, that the blackbody spectrum is often used as a model to approximate thermal emissions from real objects. E.g. that certain aspects of blackbody radiation like Wien's Law that describes a colour-temperature relation could also be roughly applied to explain the changes in colour of objects as they are heated, or that you could measure changes in the IR flux off of an object to infer its temperature. This seems to imply a similarity in behaviour between the more idealized blackbody radiation spectrum and the actual spectrum of warm, real-world objects.

My question was essentially - is it reasonable to think of the spectrum of a real object (e.g. a stove element, a lightbulb filament) as similar in spectral distribution and temperature-dependence to a blackbody curve and if so, under what circumstances.

Maybe I'm also mis-using the term 'thermal radiation' - I'm thinking of it as radiation emitted by an object because the object is warm (above 0K) and has random molecular motions associated with this non-zero temperature.

Alex.

1. What is an emission spectrum of solids?

The emission spectrum of solids refers to the range of wavelengths of light that are emitted by a solid material when it is heated or excited in some way. It is unique to each type of solid and can be used to identify and analyze different materials.

2. How is the emission spectrum of solids produced?

The emission spectrum of solids is produced through the process of thermal excitation. When a solid is heated, its atoms or molecules gain energy and become excited. As they return to their ground state, they release this energy in the form of photons, which make up the emission spectrum.

3. What information can be obtained from the emission spectrum of solids?

The emission spectrum of solids can provide information about the composition and structure of a material. By analyzing the wavelengths and intensities of the emitted light, scientists can identify the elements present in the solid and their relative concentrations. It can also provide insights into the electronic and atomic properties of the solid.

4. How is the emission spectrum of solids different from the absorption spectrum?

The emission spectrum of solids is the opposite of the absorption spectrum. While the emission spectrum shows the wavelengths of light that are emitted by a solid, the absorption spectrum shows the wavelengths that are absorbed by the material. Both can provide valuable information about the properties of a solid.

5. Why is the emission spectrum of solids important in scientific research?

The emission spectrum of solids is important in scientific research as it allows for the identification and analysis of different materials. It is also used in fields such as astronomy to study the composition of stars and other celestial bodies. Additionally, the emission spectrum can provide insights into the behavior of electrons and atoms, aiding in the understanding of fundamental principles in physics and chemistry.