Emittance from an object

• Thread starter Drizzy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an image and the question of why an object emits light of every color. The proposed solution is that the object emits wavelengths corresponding to the light that excites its electrons, resulting in light of every color being emitted.
Drizzy
https://imgur.com/gallery/DZOee?_branch_match_id=335507368389835137
1. Homework Statement

Can anybody explain this picture?
My guess is: the object emits every wave-length but it emits more wavelengths or more light from the colour that the peak is at. Is this correct? Why does the object emit wvery colour?
https://imgur.com/gallery/DZOee?_branch_match_id=335507368389835137
upload_2016-12-8_16-12-48.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see no picture and the link takes me to a totally blank page.

phinds said:
I see no picture and the link takes me to a totally blank page.
I've inserted a copy of the image to make it viewable without following a link.

@Drizzy: Look up black body radiation or black body spectrum.

I have read about it but no website has an answer to my question

My guess is thatn objectsens out wavelengths that correspond to the light that makes the elctron excited. So if we have an object that can get excitet from every wavelength then it is going to sens out light with every wavelength

What is emittance from an object?

Emittance from an object refers to the amount of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from the surface of an object. It is a measure of the object's ability to emit thermal radiation.

How is emittance from an object measured?

Emittance from an object is typically measured using a device called a spectrometer, which can detect and analyze the wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation emitted from the object's surface.

What factors affect the emittance from an object?

The emittance from an object can be affected by several factors, including the object's temperature, surface properties, and chemical composition. The type of radiation emitted also plays a role, as different types of radiation may have different emittance values.

Can emittance values be manipulated?

Yes, emittance values can be manipulated by altering the object's surface properties or by changing its temperature. For example, increasing the temperature of an object can increase its emittance, while applying a reflective coating can decrease its emittance.

Why is emittance from an object important?

Emittance from an object is an important concept in fields such as thermal engineering and astrophysics, as it can help predict the behavior of objects in different environments and provide insight into their chemical composition. It also has practical applications in fields such as thermography and remote sensing.