Emmy Noether Theorem: Exploring Space Translation

In summary, invariance under translation symmetries is equivalent to invariance under generalized coordinates.
matematikuvol
If we watch some translation in space.

[tex]L(q_i+\delta q_i,\dot{q}_i,t)=L(q_i,\dot{q}_i,t)+\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}\delta q_i+...[/tex]

and we say then
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}=0[/tex]

But we know that lagrangians [tex]L[/tex] and [tex]L'=L+\frac{df}{dt}[/tex] are equivalent. How we know that [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}\delta q_i[/tex] isn't time derivative of some function [tex]f[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
For more general symmetries than translation symmetries, you need to take into account the possibility that the Lagrangian changes by the total time derivative of a function that is only a function of the generalized coordinates (and perhaps explicitly on time) but not the generalized velocities. An example is invariance under Galileo transformations in Newtonian mechanics (Galileo boosts) or Lorentz boosts in Special Relativity, which both lead to the constant velocity of the center of mass of a closed system of point particles.

vanhees71 said:
For more general symmetries than translation symmetries, you need to take into account the possibility that the Lagrangian changes by the total time derivative of a function that is only a function of the generalized coordinates (and perhaps explicitly on time) but not the generalized velocities. An example is invariance under Galileo transformations in Newtonian mechanics (Galileo boosts) or Lorentz boosts in Special Relativity, which both lead to the constant velocity of the center of mass of a closed system of point particles.

I don't want more general symmetries than translation symmetries. I asked my question about invariance under translation symmetries. Can you answered the question about this problem which I asked?

But for this problem, you've already given the answer yourself: A generalized translation is a symmetry if the Lagrangian doesn't depend on the corresponding generalized coordinate [itex]q_1[/itex], and then from the Euler-Lagrange equation, you get

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_1} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_1}=0,[/tex]

which means that the conserved quantity is given by the canonical momentum of this variable, i.e.

[tex]p_i=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_1}.[/tex]

I think we don't understand each other. My question is. If two lagrangians [tex]L'=L+\frac{df}{dt}[/tex] and [tex]L[/tex] gives us same dynamics. Why can't be that

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}\delta q=\frac{df}{dt}[/tex]?

1. What is the Emmy Noether Theorem?

The Emmy Noether Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates symmetries in physical systems to conservation laws. It is named after mathematician Emmy Noether who first proposed it in 1915.

2. How does the Emmy Noether Theorem relate to space translation?

The Emmy Noether Theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there is a corresponding conserved quantity. In the case of space translation, this means that if a physical system is unchanged when it is moved in space, then there must be a conserved quantity associated with that symmetry.

3. What is the significance of the Emmy Noether Theorem in exploring space translation?

The Emmy Noether Theorem is important in exploring space translation because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems when they are moved in space. This is crucial in space exploration, where understanding the effects of space translation is essential for successful missions.

4. Can the Emmy Noether Theorem be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the Emmy Noether Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics and can be applied to all physical systems. It has been used to understand and explain a wide range of phenomena, from classical mechanics to quantum field theory.

5. How has the Emmy Noether Theorem impacted the field of physics?

The Emmy Noether Theorem has had a significant impact on the field of physics by providing a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It has also been instrumental in the development of new theories and has led to important discoveries, such as the conservation of energy and momentum.