Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emoticon update

1. Jun 9, 2009 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OK, flame me for making such a frivolous request.

I have issue with the rolleyes emoticon :rolleyes:

IMO, the picture doesn't match the text, resulting in an ambiguous message. Rolling eyes is a conscending, dismissive gesture. The rolleyes icon OTOH is smiling which to me makes it look more like a "tee-hee just kidding" face.

Frankly, I think the uhh icon :uhh: is actually more representative of the rolleyes sentiment.

I often hum and haw about which to use because one can't always know which form of the icon (text or graphic) the recipient will be reading (and I have lots of time on my hands).

This has actually gotten me in trouble recently when I meant something lighthearted and it was interpreted as condescension.

What if it were changed slightly?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok since you brought it up...togue2 :tongue2: really shows the togue and conveys the emotion of...what would it be, raspberry? It's a good emoticon, and is used often.

But tongue :tongue: doesn't even really show the tongue! What emotion does that convey? It has to be the least used emoticon on PF.

Sorry for the hijack :redface: (an appropriate emoticon, IMO :smile: (also appropriate (OK I have to stop nesting now))).

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, we have a friendly eyeroll here. I think of it more as a "how silly!" smiley. I don't think we need a real rolling eyes smiley because I can't imagine a context where it wouldn't be offensive and against forum guidelines.

Nah, that one seems sarcastic, not condescending.
    Greg knows better than to face the mutiny that would follow changing our smilies. :grumpy: Maybe he can add one if you can find one that's suitable.

Nah, I always think that little fella is saying something like, "Hubba hubba," or "Yum!" or just being wacky.

It's saying "Neener neener" or "Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!"

:biggrin:

Where's Tiny Tim? He should be weighing in on smilies as one of the most prolific users of them. :wink:

Edit:
    Just for a little more clarification on who the characters are, see post #8 in this thread:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=43925

:rofl: It's still one of my favorites.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  5. Jun 11, 2009 #4
    I wonder if the word(s) associated with the emoticon could be changed to :justkidding: so then people couldn't misconstrue the use of the emoticon's intent? I mean, if we're not rolling eyes at one another, should the emoticon say we are? :wink:

Spoken as someone who accidentally misunderstood the intent of the "rolleyes" emoticon.

6. Jun 11, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:blushing:

7. Jun 14, 2009 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The last panel of this comic demonstrates what that emoticon conveys.

8. Jun 14, 2009 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Let's not have an emoticon for that!

9. Jun 14, 2009 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think it's everything a rolleyes emoticon should be. I don't know about others, but I use this when I'm being sarcastic. So, yeah, great thread :rolleyes: (:wink:)

10. Jun 14, 2009 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  11. Dec 11, 2009 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Another thing that might help: the textual descriptions next to the emoticons might as well be the actual text for creating them.

For example:
    Next to :rofl: it actually says "Laughing". Why wouldn't it more usefully say ": rofl :"?

12. Dec 14, 2009 #11

drizzle

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook