Rolleyes Emoticon: Is the Picture Misleading?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: In summary, the conversation revolves around the use and interpretation of emoticons, specifically the rolleyes emoticon. Some argue that the picture does not match the text and can lead to an ambiguous message. Others suggest changing the associated word to "justkidding" to clarify the intent. The use of the emoticon is also discussed, with some finding it suitable for sarcasm and others not. There is also a mention of potential new emoticons and the usefulness of textual descriptions for creating them. Overall, there is a playful and lighthearted tone to the conversation.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
OK, flame me for making such a frivolous request.

I have issue with the rolleyes emoticon :rolleyes:

IMO, the picture doesn't match the text, resulting in an ambiguous message. Rolling eyes is a conscending, dismissive gesture. The rolleyes icon OTOH is smiling which to me makes it look more like a "tee-hee just kidding" face.

Frankly, I think the uhh icon :uhh: is actually more representative of the rolleyes sentiment.

I often hum and haw about which to use because one can't always know which form of the icon (text or graphic) the recipient will be reading (and I have lots of time on my hands).

This has actually gotten me in trouble recently when I meant something lighthearted and it was interpreted as condescension.

What if it were changed slightly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok since you brought it up...togue2 :tongue2: really shows the togue and conveys the emotion of...what would it be, raspberry? It's a good emoticon, and is used often.

But tongue :tongue: doesn't even really show the tongue! What emotion does that convey? It has to be the least used emoticon on PF.

Sorry for the hijack :redface: (an appropriate emoticon, IMO :smile: (also appropriate (OK I have to stop nesting now))).

DaveC426913 said:
OK, flame me for making such a frivolous request.

IMO, the picture doesn't match the text, resulting in an ambiguous message. Rolling eyes is a conscending, dismissive gesture. The rolleyes icon OTOH is smiling which to me makes it look more like a "tee-hee just kidding" face.
Yes, we have a friendly eyeroll here. I think of it more as a "how silly!" smiley. I don't think we need a real rolling eyes smiley because I can't imagine a context where it wouldn't be offensive and against forum guidelines.

Frankly, I think the uhh icon :uhh: is actually more representative of the rolleyes sentiment.
Nah, that one seems sarcastic, not condescending.
What if it were changed slightly?
Greg knows better than to face the mutiny that would follow changing our smilies. :grumpy: Maybe he can add one if you can find one that's suitable.

lisab said:
Ok since you brought it up...togue2 :tongue2: really shows the togue and conveys the emotion of...what would it be, raspberry? It's a good emoticon, and is used often.
Nah, I always think that little fella is saying something like, "Hubba hubba," or "Yum!" or just being wacky.

But tongue :tongue: doesn't even really show the tongue! What emotion does that convey? It has to be the least used emoticon on PF.
It's saying "Neener neener" or "Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!"

:biggrin:

Where's Tiny Tim? He should be weighing in on smilies as one of the most prolific users of them. :wink:

Edit:
Just for a little more clarification on who the characters are, see post #8 in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=43925

:rofl: It's still one of my favorites.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:

I wonder if the word(s) associated with the emoticon could be changed to :justkidding: so then people couldn't misconstrue the use of the emoticon's intent? I mean, if we're not rolling eyes at one another, should the emoticon say we are? :wink:

Spoken as someone who accidentally misunderstood the intent of the "rolleyes" emoticon.

GeorginaS said:
Spoken as someone who accidentally misunderstood the intent of the "rolleyes" emoticon.
:blushing:

lisab said:
The last panel of this comic demonstrates what that emoticon conveys.

DaveC426913 said:
Let's not get caught with our pants down again!

Let's not have an emoticon for that!

DaveC426913 said:

I think it's everything a rolleyes emoticon should be. I don't know about others, but I use this when I'm being sarcastic. So, yeah, great thread :rolleyes: (:wink:)

Would you care for the buffet of smilies from these sites?

rolleye0003.gif

http://www.planetsmilies.com/

chickendance.gif

http://www.myemoticons.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing that might help: the textual descriptions next to the emoticons might as well be the actual text for creating them.

For example:
Next to :rofl: it actually says "Laughing". Why wouldn't it more usefully say ": rofl :"?

1. What is the purpose of the "Rolleyes" emoticon?

The "Rolleyes" emoticon is used to convey a sense of sarcasm, disbelief, or annoyance in online communication.

2. Is the picture used for the "Rolleyes" emoticon misleading?

The picture used for the "Rolleyes" emoticon is a representation of a person rolling their eyes, which accurately conveys the intended meaning of the emoticon. However, it may not accurately reflect the person's true facial expression in real life.

3. Can the "Rolleyes" emoticon be interpreted differently by different people?

Yes, the "Rolleyes" emoticon can be interpreted differently by different people, as it depends on their personal understanding and context of the conversation. It is important to consider the tone and context of the conversation before using the emoticon.

4. Is the "Rolleyes" emoticon considered rude or offensive?

The "Rolleyes" emoticon can be perceived as rude or offensive if used inappropriately or excessively. It is important to use it sparingly and in the right context to avoid offending others.

5. Can the "Rolleyes" emoticon be used in professional communication?

It is generally not recommended to use the "Rolleyes" emoticon in professional communication, as it can come across as unprofessional or disrespectful. It is best to stick to more neutral emoticons in a professional setting.

Back