Breaking the Cycle of Abuse: How to Cope With Emotionally Abusive Women

In summary, I think that abusive women are often tolerated or ignored, and abusive men are villified. Men are expected to put up with it, and this often leads to problems in marriages.
Bio-Hazard said:
I threw away society a long time ago. It seems that there is always abuse to go around for everyone, the best thing to do is bite back.
It also works to distance yourself from society, less drama. (becoming antisocial) It seems that with lack of emotional involvement with others, you begin to slow down your emotional development process. Not healthy in some cases, but for the strong and smart, it's wroth it.

I've found that the majority of people are just fools who haven't grown up from cave man days and you must learn to throw them away and walk over them for yourself to suceed in life.

Sounds like your stated location is entirely appropriate to your attitude. Phobos means "fear" and Mars is the god of war. Be happy.:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
I have seen several relationships collapse, and often the wife has sought counseling, but the husband was reluctant.
Intelligence and emotional maturity are often completely separate.
That is a separate issue. True abusers don't seek counsiling, they avoid it. As for the men, I think it has more to do with education. I would assume that men generally find their own way to deal with these things but probably not the best way to be sure. And in some cases it probably does end up with abuse in both directions. But if a man is tolerating abuse by his wife, it is she, not he who needs the help.

I find it interesting that you tend to want to "victimize" the man and assume that he needs an emotional support group. In my case, for example, my sister and a couple of others need the help, not me. I finally realized that this just ain't my problem and enough was enough. That's what was needed, not a support group.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
That is a separate issue. True abusers don't seek counsiling, they avoid it. As for the men, I think it has more to do with education. I would assume that men generally find their own way to deal with these things but probably not the best way to be sure. And in some cases it probably does end up with abuse in both directions. But if a man is tolerating abuse by his wife, it is she, not he who needs the help.
I agree.
Ivan Seeking said:
I find it interesting that you tend to want to "victimize" the man and assume that he needs an emotional support group.
I was not trying to 'victimize' the man. I was simpling pointing out that hypatia was apparently expressing incredulity at the fact while men (and people (mankind) in general) can be so intelligent, this intelligence does not preclude abusive behavior, and I was making the point that emotional maturity and intelligence do not go hand in hand.
Ivan Seeking said:
In my case, for example, my sister and a couple of others need the help, not me. I finally realized that this just ain't my problem and enough was enough. That's what was needed, not a support group.
I agree with you. People who are abusive need intervention and counseling, and in some cases, they need to separated from other people, particularly those they abuse.

Looking back at my post, I could have better phrased it. In addition, I think the context of abuse in most cases is spousal abuse or child abuse, rather than sibling abuse. In the case of child abuse, the children do need effective support, something that is often lacking.

Last edited:
Ah, I see what you were saying. Yes, for adults I think just getting away is often best. When I was a kid mom was the problem - physical and emotional -but as my sisters grew up the same patterns began to emerge in their behavior. I had no choice as a kid, but as an adult I could just say, adios. I haven't completely cut the ties but I spend as little time as possible with my sisters now; the one in particular. And the stuff with mom is ancient history.

Ivan Seeking said:
I find it interesting that you tend to want to "victimize" the man and assume that he needs an emotional support group. In my case, for example, my sister and a couple of others need the help, not me. I finally realized that this just ain't my problem and enough was enough. That's what was needed, not a support group.
Some people, male or female, are hurt by emotional abuse and can't recover on their own. Some are better able to extricate themselves from the situation. The irony, of course, is that someone who can extricate themself probably doesn't need counseling, but someone who can't extricate themself won't be able to seek counseling. Outside intervention is required.

A good friend of mine has a controlling, but not overtly abusive mother. He just turned 31 and has no real hope of moving out of his parents' house on his own. When I can, I'm going to pull him out.

Last edited:
I just came across http://www.rickross.com/" . I've read through a lot of the information they have and a number of posts there, and it seems like a pretty solid web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to laugh when I got my one sister's Christmas card. It was a picture of her family. She is at the center of the picture with her two girls sitting on either side, and I can almost make out my brother-in-law way back in the shadows near the left border of the shot. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Nothing ever changes.

Evo said:
I think it's also somewhat a learned trait, I see it running in families, of course there are always exceptions.

It also appears more prevalent in some cultures.

Emotional abuse is terrible, the scars aren't outwardly visible until it's too late.

Emotional abuse male to male, female to female, male to female or female to male... it accounts for many psychological conditions that, as you say, are difficult to reverse.

Toddlers watching parents abuse each other with insults and guilt trips and judgement calls is the classroom for continuing abuse, ensuring future generations of adult toddlers (grown-up appearance - infantile psyche).

Behaviour modification initiated by role-modeling and dominant genetic predispositions created by an environment of abusive role-modeling (repeated over generations) creates a volatile yet easily manipulated individual that is willing to perform just about any unconventional act to the point of becoming, say, a suicide bomber. Only the well educated would be able to recognize this resource... that is, only the well educated and emotionally abused recruiter.

Ivan Seeking said:
I caught a bit on the Today Show that discussed the issue of emotional abuse. Anytime I see something like this it almost always focuses on women who are abused by men. But in my family there was plenty of abuse and it all came from the women - and it still does. Without meaning to start a war between the sexes, I think abusive women are often tolerated or ignored, and abusive men are villified. Quite simply, men are expected to put up with it. My solution has been to mostly cut the ties with my family. I won't put up with another generation of abusive women.

For those that did not see the interview - here it is:
http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=9923ebec-1e0a-4699-bbea-bf4ec6814cd0&f=email

I must say that http://www.iwishisaidno.com/forum/1945-emotional-abuse.html is one of the most lethal abuse. Physical abuse is really depressing due to what happens to you, but emotional abuse=it affects the mind directly. It manipulates the brain to think negatively, and most people who have suffered from emotional abuse have seeked psychological help, and sometimes, suicided.

Last edited by a moderator: