EMP generator using a spark gap

In summary, an EMP is a short-lived, high-voltage pulse that can be produced by various electrical devices. You can generate an EMP by adding a capacitor to an electrical arc, and measuring the resulting voltage and current.
i0n
Hi, i live in the UK and currently studying physics at A-level. I have chosen to investigate EMP and its effect on electrical systems for a project. How would i build a generator? Am i right in saying all i would need is a fairly large capacitor and a spark gap? What sized voltage are we talking here to get a measurable EMP? Could i measure the EMP using an ocsilloscope? I would appreciate it if you could offer some insight. I have a limited knowledge of physics (bare in mind that I am only 17!) so please don't be too complicated in your answers :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ion-

… Am i right in saying all i would need is a fairly large capacitor and a spark gap? What sized voltage are we talking here to get a measurable EMP? Could i measure the EMP using an ocsilloscope?…

Yes to all your questions. Any electrical arc generates an EMP. An automobile’s ignition system generates EMP and in weak reception areas can be heard on the radio. To damage electronic components at any distance more than a few millimeters will take considerable power. You’re looking at 10’s of thousands of volts and high currents, more than I suggest you attempt.

i see, thanks. So would a van derr Graff generator produce EMP that could be heard on a radio?

"EMP" is a very general term since it can be defined as any "pulse" that is produced anywhere across the electromagnetic spectrum.

So, anything that is producing staccato pulses at any frequency could be loosely considered "EMP", although not necessarily "destructive".

A quick search in google for "emp generator" produced this link at the top of the page:

http://www.plans-kits.com/plans/emp.html

Looks like lots of HV stuff, so try not to fry yourself. When you begin messing around with capacitors that are charged up in the kV regions, you don't necessarily need to make full contact with the electrodes to get accidentally hit with a discharge.

At these higher voltages there's always the possibility that you might get close enough to allow the charge to ionize the air-gap between YOU and the electrode. This means the charge can "reach out" and bite you when you might not otherwise expect it. :eek:

Im looking at buying a capacitor on the internet for this project. I need a 6000v capacitor and I've seen a huge variety in prices. The ones with higher farad values seem to be more expensive. Why is this, e.g. a 40kv 1pF capacitor is 6$ whereas a 10kv 0.1F capacitor is 70$!

0.1F is a *tremendous* amount of charge...

maybe it was lower, but I am just wondering what the advantages are of having a higher capacitance but the same p.d. on 2 different capacitors?

Well here is a unusal favourites link I found in my browser. Expensive but you might find it interesting if you are going for a home made job. I think the easiest way to generate a large emp involves explosives. Whatever they are all probably illegal in built up areas (or any area if the pulse is strong enough) and for very good reasons.

http://www.amazing1.com/emp.htm

Jesus: 1Mfd Capacitors :/

Last edited:
A good place for information would be here:

http://forum.4hv.org/index.php?board=6

Many members on the 4HV forums have already designed, built and tested these types of things and can give you actual information.

Just don’t meantion my name there...

1. What is an EMP generator using a spark gap?

An EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) generator is a device that produces a high-intensity burst of electromagnetic energy. It uses a spark gap, which is a gap between two electrodes, to create a sudden discharge of electricity that results in the EMP.

2. How does an EMP generator using a spark gap work?

The spark gap in an EMP generator acts as a switch that rapidly turns on and off a high-voltage power source. This creates a series of short but powerful bursts of electromagnetic energy, which can disrupt or damage electronic devices within a certain radius.

3. What can an EMP generator using a spark gap be used for?

An EMP generator can be used for a variety of purposes, such as testing the durability of electronic equipment against EMPs, or as a weapon to disable or destroy electronic systems in military or defense scenarios.

4. Is it legal to build and use an EMP generator using a spark gap?

The legality of building and using an EMP generator varies depending on your location and intended use. It is important to research and follow any applicable laws and regulations before attempting to build or use one.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using an EMP generator using a spark gap?

Yes, there are safety concerns when building or using an EMP generator. The high-voltage electricity used to create the EMP can be dangerous, and precautions should be taken to avoid electric shock. Additionally, the use of an EMP generator can cause damage to electronic devices, so it is important to use it responsibly and with caution.