1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Empirical distribution help

1. Feb 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm given data for 5 years of number of accidents. The problem asks about the Variance of the empirical distribution of the number of accidents per year.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure what an empirical distribution means. I wasn't able to find a good example or definition online. At first I went and just found the average (total accidents / 5) and then used that to find the 2nd central moment, or the variance. I'm not sure if that is the correct way to do it. The part that confuses me is the empirical distribution part of it. If someone could clarify if I'm on the right track or what an empirical distribution is, that'd be great. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is just asking for the variance of the data sample.

4. Feb 6, 2014 #3
    So is the way I did it at first correct?

5. Feb 6, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know, since you did not show your work. However, if your calculations are correct, and the problem statement was exactly as you said it was, then the answer will be OK, too.

6. Feb 6, 2014 #5
    Okay sounds good. I think I got it figured out. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted