1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Empirical formula

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1
    A gas X has a density of 1.187[tex]gdm^-3[/tex] at 1.01 atm. & 35[tex]^oC[/tex]. Gas X contains 79.8% by mass of C & 20.2% by mass of H. Find the empirical formula of X.

Here are my steps:

mole ratio of C to H = 79.8/12.01 : 20.2/1.008
    = 7: 20
    In that case, its empirical formula is [tex]C_{7}H_{20}[/tex] while I don't think there is a gas with this formula, the closest one is [tex]C_{7}H_{16}[/tex]. Can anyone help me with it?

I know what's wrong now....I have mistaken it as the molecular formula...hheee...being silly...so the answer should be [tex]CH_{3}[/tex].

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2
    Ok.

Note: to make your Latex fit into the text, use "itex" and "/itex" in the brackets instead of "tex" and "/tex".

4. Oct 3, 2004 #3

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is very simple; just simplify the ratio, [itex] \frac {7}{20} [/itex] to obtain [itex] \frac {1}{0,35}[/itex]. As you know that a carbon-containing gas must contain up to five carbon atoms, a gas with seven carbons would not be logical. So just simplify the ratio for your needs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?