Empty Set Metric Space

Can we define a metric space [itex](\emptyset, d)[/itex]? The metric is the part that confuses me, since it seems like all of the required properties of d are satisfied since they are "not not satisfied", but I'm not sure.

Thank you!

Answers and Replies

Yes, I don't see the problem with that. However, I think you would probably want to include "non-empty" in the axioms for a metric space, it's just that you wouldn't usually bother because you don't gain anything of interest by looking at an empty metric space.

disregardthat
Science Advisor
It's a perfectly fine metic space and it's a good thing to keep that convention. So we don't always have to make awkward exceptions to theorems, such as "every non-empty subspace of a metric space is a metric space."

Deveno
Science Advisor
Can we define a metric space [itex](\emptyset, d)[/itex]? The metric is the part that confuses me, since it seems like all of the required properties of d are satisfied since they are "not not satisfied", but I'm not sure.

Thank you!
how are they not satisfied? every condition for a metric holds for every element of Ø, no matter how we define the metric (although if you must have a definition, use d(x,x) = 0, d(x,y) = 1, for all x,y not in Ø).

... this all comes to vacuous truths again, as discussed elsewhere.

What is a metric?

It's a function from X cross X to ℝ, plus some conditions.

If X is the empty set, it's a function from the empty set to ℝ.

What's a function from a set S to a set T?

Formally, it's a subset of S cross T, satisfying some condition.

So, the empty set can be viewed as a function from the empty set to any other set. The empty function. So, that's your metric and it vacuously satisfies all the conditions.

how are they not satisfied? every condition for a metric holds for every element of Ø, no matter how we define the metric (although if you must have a definition, use d(x,x) = 0, d(x,y) = 1, for all x,y not in Ø).
I wrote "not not satisfied", which is a slightly stupider way of saying "vacuously true" as Jamma and homeomorphic have clarified.