Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EMrocket engine

1. Dec 19, 2014 #1
    Recently there has been much discussion about an EM rocket engine China has built which
    clams to give propulsion without ejecting mass, violating Newtons conservation of momentum.

Does Einsteins General relativity equations require conservation of momentum?
    Does this claim violate General or special relativity also?

Thanks

Duordi

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2014 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please provide a ling to what you are discussing. Light is oscillating EM field, light propulsion is well known and non-controversial (though not very practical so far). Without a link, I have no idea if what you refer is speculative or just garbage.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  4. Dec 19, 2014 #3
  5. Dec 19, 2014 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Conservation of momentum applies in GR just as in newtonian physics.

No, it will still obey all of GR/SR rules. The key question is how does it work, which may or may not require quantum theories to explain it. There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to how it works at this time.

6. Dec 19, 2014 #5

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think there can be meaningful discussion of this here. At present, there is no peer reviewed theory or reliable independent studies. It is not necessary to say there is definitely nothing here to be able to say this is well outside what can be discussed on physics forums.

7. Dec 19, 2014 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

8. Dec 20, 2014 #7

Drakkith

After re-reading the wiki article I'm inclined to agree. I just skimmed over the replication claims section the first time.

9. Dec 20, 2014 #8

Drakkith

I didn't see your post until just now, but I'm inclined to agree. There's not enough data for us to discuss the details of the engine, and I already answered the specific questions the OP had. Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook