EMrocket Engine: Does it Violate Newton's Law?

• Thread starter duordi134
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engine
In summary, there has been much discussion about an EM rocket engine China has built that claims to provide propulsion without ejecting mass, which goes against Newton's conservation of momentum. Einsteins General relativity equations still require conservation of momentum, and there is no violation of General or special relativity. However, there is no consensus on how the engine actually works and there is not enough reliable data or peer-reviewed theories to have a meaningful discussion on the topic.
duordi134
Recently there has been much discussion about an EM rocket engine China has built which
clams to give propulsion without ejecting mass, violating Newtons conservation of momentum.

Does Einsteins General relativity equations require conservation of momentum?
Does this claim violate General or special relativity also?

Thanks

Duordi

Physics news on Phys.org
duordi134 said:
Recently there has been much discussion about an EM rocket engine China has built which
clams to give propulsion without ejecting mass, violating Newtons conservation of momentum.

Thanks

Duordi
Please provide a ling to what you are discussing. Light is oscillating EM field, light propulsion is well known and non-controversial (though not very practical so far). Without a link, I have no idea if what you refer is speculative or just garbage.

Last edited:
duordi134 said:

Conservation of momentum applies in GR just as in Newtonian physics.

No, it will still obey all of GR/SR rules. The key question is how does it work, which may or may not require quantum theories to explain it. There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to how it works at this time.

I don't think there can be meaningful discussion of this here. At present, there is no peer reviewed theory or reliable independent studies. It is not necessary to say there is definitely nothing here to be able to say this is well outside what can be discussed on physics forums.

Drakkith said:
The key question is how does it work, which may or may not require quantum theories to explain it. There doesn't seem to be a consensus as to how it works at this time.
There is no consensus that it works.

From the Wikipedia article - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EmDrive#New_Scientist_article - Shawyer submitted a theory paper to New Scientist, a weekly popular science magazine. That ain't the way to do it. :rolleyes:

Linking EmDrive with cold fusion is a non-starter. ?:)

Astronuc said:
There is no consensus that it works.

After re-reading the wiki article I'm inclined to agree. I just skimmed over the replication claims section the first time.

PAllen said:
I don't think there can be meaningful discussion of this here. At present, there is no peer reviewed theory or reliable independent studies. It is not necessary to say there is definitely nothing here to be able to say this is well outside what can be discussed on physics forums.

I didn't see your post until just now, but I'm inclined to agree. There's not enough data for us to discuss the details of the engine, and I already answered the specific questions the OP had. Thread locked.

1. What is an EMrocket engine?

An EMrocket engine, also known as an electromagnetic rocket engine, is a type of propulsion system that uses electromagnetic forces to generate thrust.

2. How does an EMrocket engine work?

EMrocket engines work by using electromagnetic forces to accelerate a propellant, such as plasma or ions, out of the rocket at high speeds. This generates thrust and propels the rocket forward.

3. Does an EMrocket engine violate Newton's laws of motion?

No, an EMrocket engine does not violate Newton's laws of motion. It still follows the principle of action and reaction, with the reaction force being the thrust generated by the propellant being expelled.

4. What are the potential applications of EMrocket engines?

EMrocket engines have the potential to be used in space travel, as they are highly efficient and can generate high speeds. They could also be used for satellite propulsion or in deep space exploration missions.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of EMrocket engines?

One limitation of EMrocket engines is that they require a power source to generate the electromagnetic fields. This can be a challenge in space missions where a reliable power source may not be available. Additionally, they are not suitable for use in Earth's atmosphere as the air would interfere with the electromagnetic forces.