Enantiomers and isomers of c6h12

• Thread starter chemystery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomers
In summary, there are a total of 38 isomers of C6H12, with 37 currently identified. Of these, one more enantiomer is needed. The already identified isomers include trans-1-ethyl-2-methylcyclopropane, 3-methyl-1-pentene, trans-1,2-dimethylcyclobutane, and cis-1-ethyl-2-methylcyclopropane. The missing enantiomer is 1,1,2-trimethylcyclopropane.
chemystery
alright so of the 38(as far as i know) isomers of C6H12 i have found 37/38 needing just one more,as well marks are included for enantiomers. but what I am really looking for just one more(if any) enantiomers of C6H12. what i have so far is

Trans-1-ethyl-2-methylcyclopropane

3-methyl-1-pentene

trans-1,2-dimethylcyclobutane

cis-1-ethyl-2-methylcyclopropane

if anyone knows one more enantiomer that would be very appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

38 isomers of c6h12(i have 37) and enantiomers of c6h12

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what i need is one more enantiomer, this is what i have so far

3-methyl-1-pentene

chemystery said:
alright so of the 38(as far as i know) isomers of C6H12 i have found 37/38 needing just one more,as well marks are included for enantiomers. but what I am really looking for just one more(if any) enantiomers of C6H12. what i have so far is

3-methyl-1-pentene

if anyone knows one more enantiomer that would be very appreciated

Your list doesn't include the 37 that you have found.

"Your list doesn't include the 37 that you have found."

well, that's not really what I am asking,and what difference does it make if i didnt put them there?

chemystery said:
"Your list doesn't include the 37 that you have found."

what difference does it make if i didnt put them there?

I see, just looking for another enantiomer. What you have listed are structural isomers, not enantiomers, which are a special type of stereoisomer. Enantiomers are molecules that are non-superimposable mirror images of one another. If that is what you meant, you need to notate them properly to indicate the pair.

Last edited:
chemystery said:

Homework Statement

38 isomers of c6h12(i have 37) and enantiomers of c6h12

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what i need is one more enantiomer, this is what i have so far

3-methyl-1-pentene

trans-1,2-dimethylcyclobutane...

Do you have the 1,3-isomers of cyclobutane?

yeahh i do, not going to list them all there's quite a few

but i actually found out today what I am missing

it is

1,1,2-trimethylcyclopropane

(2 threads merged)

What are enantiomers and isomers of C6H12?

Enantiomers and isomers are types of molecules that have the same chemical formula, in this case C6H12, but differ in their three-dimensional arrangement of atoms. Enantiomers are mirror images of each other, while isomers have the same atoms but are arranged differently.

How do enantiomers and isomers differ in their physical properties?

Enantiomers have identical physical properties, such as melting and boiling points, but differ in their ability to rotate plane-polarized light. Isomers, on the other hand, may have different physical properties due to their different arrangements of atoms.

What is the significance of enantiomers and isomers in chemistry?

Enantiomers and isomers are important in chemistry because they can have different biological and chemical effects. For example, one enantiomer of a drug may be effective while the other may be inactive or even harmful. Isomers can also have different reactivity and can form different products in chemical reactions.

How can enantiomers and isomers be distinguished?

Enantiomers can be distinguished using techniques such as polarimetry, which measures the rotation of plane-polarized light, or chiral chromatography, which separates enantiomers based on their different interactions with a chiral stationary phase. Isomers can be distinguished by their different physical properties or through analytical techniques such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.

What is the relationship between enantiomers and chiral molecules?

Enantiomers are a type of chiral molecule, meaning they have a non-superimposable mirror image. However, not all chiral molecules have enantiomers. For example, molecules with a plane of symmetry or a center of symmetry are not chiral and therefore do not have enantiomers.