Which IC Can Be Used for Encoder Counters?

• Thread starter novrisa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Encoder
In summary, the person is looking to create a circuit that uses an encoder counter, but is unsure which IC to use for the task. Specifically, they are wondering if the 74LS47 is suitable for this purpose and if not, which IC would be appropriate. They also mention needing an up/down signal and a counter clock signal for the quadrature encoder outputs.
novrisa
i am want to make circuit that use an encoder counters..
but i don't know which ic can counter for encoder??
i am using 74LS47 for encoder counters?but, it didn't work??
is 74LS47 can use for counter encoders??
which IC can used for encoder counters??
thanks anyway

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is an 'encoder counter?'

- Warren

My guess would be that he has a quadrature encoder output, and wants to count up for rotation in one direction, and count down for rotation in the other direction. Is that correct, novrisa?

How many bits of counting do you need? Do you know how to design the logic to take the quadrature encoder outputs (two signals, correct?), and use those to make an up/down signal and a counter clock signal? Then, do you know of counter ICs that have an up/down count control input?

1. What is an encoder counter?

An encoder counter is a device that counts the number of pulses or rotations from an encoder and converts it into a digital signal for further processing.

2. What is the purpose of an encoder counter?

The purpose of an encoder counter is to accurately measure and track the position, speed, and direction of a rotating or linear motion in various industrial and scientific applications.

3. What are the different types of ICs that can be used for encoder counters?

There are various types of ICs that can be used for encoder counters, including quadrature encoder counters, synchronous counters, and asynchronous counters. Some commonly used ICs in encoder counters include 74LS192, 74LS193, 74LS160, 74LS161, and 74LS162.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing an IC for encoder counters?

When choosing an IC for encoder counters, factors such as the required counting speed, resolution, power consumption, noise immunity, and compatibility with the encoder output signals should be considered. It is also important to ensure that the IC has the necessary features to meet the specific needs of the application.

5. How do I know which IC is suitable for my encoder counter application?

The best way to determine which IC is suitable for your encoder counter application is by consulting the datasheets of different ICs and comparing their specifications with your requirements. It is also recommended to seek guidance from experienced engineers or consult with the manufacturer for expert advice.