Calculating Friction Force and Bore Size for Robotic End of Arm Tooling

• Thread starter dgansen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm
In summary: I would recommend designing a part that is stiffer so that it doesn't move around and create more friction.In summary, the customer is looking for help with a robotics application. They have an electrical component that needs to be loaded into a plug and moved to an unload bin. They are not able to get the required lifting force with their .500" bore air cylinder and are investigating ways to increase friction. They are also having problems with the flexibility of the gripper and the limited space in the unload bin for moving the part.
dgansen
Good morning,

I need some help on a robotics application. We have an electrical component, which fits into a plug to have software loaded; a robot picks up the component, puts it in the plug, and once software is loaded, moves the component to an unload bin.

Space constraints mean we used a smaller pair of grippers to pull the parts out of the plug, and part geometry means we come in with both gripper "fingers" on two flat sides of the part. We need about 12 pounds of lifting force, which we are not getting with our .500" bore air cylinder...

In my mind, since the grip force is normal to the direction of motion (and gravity) it is all about generating enough friction to avoid the part sliding out of the grippers during the lifting operation. How would I calculate the size bore cylinder required to lift the part?

As stated, I need 12 pounds of lift force. Our current cylinder is a .500" cylinder bore, with a max air pressure of 140 PSI. The surfaces contacting each other are 4140 steel to 6061 aluminum on one side, and Acetal to Nylon 66 on the other side. Gripper fingers contact the part about 3" away from the air cylinder.

I can try to post photos later, but need to double check on our disclosure agreement. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's a photo with a few material callouts... I apologize for the black smudges, had to perform a little CYA...

unnamed.jpg

Edit to fix photo URL

Investigate the addition of a lip or notch in the part to match a feature created on your gripper.
Sure customers are often dead set in not changing their parts to accommodate automation,
but the best solutions are often accompanied with small compromises. At least this has been my experience.
A small notch or lip could make all the difference for high speed insertion and removal of your part.

:EDIT
Are you inserting with a different gripper and removing with this one pictured?

Unfortunately, the majority of the components have already been made; speed is not the most critical, as they only load 4 parts at a time with a 35 second cycle time... We are investigating the addition of suction cups, but can only fit a 13mm; even with 2 cups, we estimated a requirement for 40mm cups with a 21 Hg vacuum generator; that does account for a safety factor of 4, so we will see; it may come down to a combination of larger gripper cylinder, as well as the two 13mm cups. The question is, how big of a cylinder?

I'm assuming there is a formula that will determine how much friction is required to lift that weight, which can be turned into an amount of force required, which can then be referenced with the manufacturer to determine bore size...

Definitely should have saved my old college physics textbook, tried finding the formulas and it's amazing how much info I've forgotten...

ETA...

Yes, this gripper is only pulling the part out; load bins are sized differently from unload bins, so there is not room for the first set of grippers to unload them.

Where the aluminum backplate protrudes with two mounting holes, the first grippers utilizes those to locate, and the part is held very well. We simply don't have the space in the unload bins for the "side to side" motion of unclamping; we thought of using pins through those holes, but would need an ejector of some sort to push the component forward off those pins. Front to back motion is also severely limited during the unload process.

Last edited:
you might be overcoming more than just weight and friction in the plug.
the sticking tendency in the plug could have an initial higher (and varying) friction quality we sometimes call by the made up term "sticktion".

Hmm, the vacuum didn't have near enough force, which makes sense; crunching the numbers showed we wouldn't even be close. We may still supplement the grippers with the cups, but we'll still need the larger cylinder; It's a matter of determining the clamping force to grip the component hard enough to overcome "sticktion" (I really like that term, by the way)!

I'm assuming there is a formula that will determine how much friction is required to lift that weight, which can be turned into an amount of force required, which can then be referenced with the manufacturer to determine bore size...

Ratio of friction force to gripping force is just coefficient of friction for materials invloved . Work out the worst case and then apply a sensible reserve factor .

You have other problems though - that gripper looks very flexible .

1. What is end of arm tooling (EOAT)?

EOAT is a term used in robotics to refer to the device or tool attached to the end of a robotic arm. It is used to perform specific tasks, such as picking up and manipulating objects.

2. What types of tasks can be performed with end of arm tooling?

EOAT can be used for a variety of tasks, including picking, placing, sorting, welding, cutting, and packaging. The specific type of tooling used will depend on the application and the robot's capabilities.

3. How do you choose the right end of arm tooling for a specific application?

Choosing the right EOAT for a specific application involves considering factors such as the type and size of objects to be handled, the speed and accuracy required, and the capabilities of the robot. It is important to also consider the compatibility of the tooling with the robot's end effector and programming capabilities.

4. Can end of arm tooling be customized for specific tasks?

Yes, end of arm tooling can be customized for specific tasks. Many manufacturers offer a variety of tooling options and also provide customization services to meet specific application needs. It is important to work closely with the manufacturer to ensure the tooling is designed and built to meet the specific requirements.

5. What are some common challenges with end of arm tooling?

Some common challenges with end of arm tooling include selecting the right tooling for the application, ensuring proper compatibility and integration with the robot, and overcoming any technical limitations or constraints. Regular maintenance and calibration may also be required to ensure the tooling continues to perform effectively.