The End of Cosmology: Is Special Relativity at Odds?

• Thread starter grmnsplx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary: Ok, I am totally wrong, all cosmologist follow GR to the letter and never mistake coordinate charts from physical reality, and the introductions of dark energy and dark matter are brilliant gems that transforms everything into a beautiful and consistent...elegant...theory.
grmnsplx
The other day I read a rencent article in Scientific American entitled "The End of Cosmology." I have a simple question that I hope someone can clarify for me.

Let me first give a brief summary and my understanding of the article. In every direction the universe is expanding, and this expansion is accelerating.
Accelerating so much so that at some point, galaxies will be flying away from us at the speed of light and beyond. Therefore, we will not be able to see them. Large portions of the universe will disappear. The point of the article is that we are lucky enough to exist in the only epoch where we can observe and expanding universe and find evidence of a big bang.

Anyway, on to my question. I thought that the theory of Special Relativity tells us that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Am I missing something, or do the observations mentioned in the article contradict this theory?

Oh, here, I found the article on the web. Here is he link.
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-end-of-cosmology

Space news on Phys.org
grmnsplx said:
Anyway, on to my question. I thought that the theory of Special Relativity tells us that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Am I missing something, or do the observations mentioned in the article contradict this theory?

Try having a read of this paper: http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~aes/AST105/Readings/misconceptionsBigBang.pdf . I think this is good as a first explanation but, if you have any questions once you've read this, feel free to ask!

As an aside, whilst googling I found a more technical version of this paper: http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~charley/papers/DavisLineweaver04.pdf. Just thought I'd share with whomever may be reading this (although I guess marcus has already pointed this out a long time ago!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links cristo

cristo said:
Try having a read of this paper: http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~aes/AST105/Readings/misconceptionsBigBang.pdf . I think this is good as a first explanation but, if you have any questions once you've read this, feel free to ask!

As an aside, whilst googling I found a more technical version of this paper: http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~charley/papers/DavisLineweaver04.pdf. Just thought I'd share with whomever may be reading this (although I guess marcus has already pointed this out a long time ago!)
It would be interesting to see 30 years from now if this article about "expanding space" still makes any scientific sense or that those who are straight lipped about it now refuse to bring it up out of sheer embarrassment.

Last edited by a moderator:
MeJennifer said:
It would be interesting to see 30 years from now if this article about "expanding space" still makes any scientific sense or that those who are straight lipped about it now refuse to bring it up out of sheer embarrassment.

You don't like the idea of "expanding space"? What exactly do you take issue with?

grmnsplx said:
What exactly do you take issue with?
1. Taking properties of a coordinate chart of spacetime for a physical reality.
2. Plugging observational data into metrics and then claiming it is valid beause it is a solution to the Einstein field equations.

MeJennifer said:
1. Taking properties of a coordinate chart of spacetime for a physical reality.
2. Plugging observational data into metrics and then claiming it is valid beause it is a solution to the Einstein field equations.

Who exactly are you accusing of doing the above??

Wallace said:
Who exactly are you accusing of doing the above??
Well, le't say that if nobody does that I am delighted. :smile:

Can you be more explicit about your objections? You have raised them repeatedly without making it clear what you are referring to. You have ridiculed a very good piece of pop-sci writing that clears up a lot of the confusion surrounding terms such as 'the expansion of space'. I think if you read it you might find that it is much closer to your opinion on this than you think. You seem to be repeatedly attacking a strawman version of the way cosmologists use relativity. If I'm mistaken please enlighten me (and everyone else).

Plugging observational evidence into a metric and discovering it yields results in agreement with theory sounds like good science to me.

Wallace said:
Can you be more explicit about your objections? You have raised them repeatedly without making it clear what you are referring to. You have ridiculed a very good piece of pop-sci writing that clears up a lot of the confusion surrounding terms such as 'the expansion of space'. I think if you read it you might find that it is much closer to your opinion on this than you think. You seem to be repeatedly attacking a strawman version of the way cosmologists use relativity. If I'm mistaken please enlighten me (and everyone else).
Ok, I am totally wrong, all cosmologist follow GR to the letter and never mistake coordinate charts from physical reality, and the introductions of dark energy and dark matter are brilliant gems that transforms everything into a beautiful and consistent theory.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Plugging observational evidence into a metric and discovering it yields results in agreement with theory sounds like good science to me.
It does not agree with theory, only after plugging in the right amounts of dark energy and dark matter, and then it holds, of course only until the next discovery introduces another round of adjustments.

Last edited:
Hi Grmnsplex,

Suffice it to say that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light THROUGH space, but space itself can expand far faster than the speed of light. For example, 3 seconds or so after the Big Bang, space was expanding at a rate many times in excesss of the speed of light.

1. What is the "end of cosmology" and why is it a topic of interest?

The "end of cosmology" refers to the idea that our current understanding of the universe, specifically through the theory of special relativity, may have limitations and may need to be revised or replaced in order to fully explain the workings of the universe. This topic is of interest because it challenges our current understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of physics.

2. What is special relativity and how does it relate to the end of cosmology?

Special relativity is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the relationship between space and time. It is based on two main principles: the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference. The end of cosmology is related to special relativity because the theory may not fully explain certain phenomena in the universe, such as the expansion of the universe and the behavior of objects at extremely high velocities.

3. What evidence suggests that special relativity may not fully explain the universe?

One piece of evidence is the observation that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. This suggests that there is a force, known as dark energy, that is counteracting the force of gravity and causing the expansion. Special relativity does not account for this force and therefore may not fully explain the behavior of the universe. Additionally, at extremely high velocities, the laws of special relativity break down and cannot fully explain the behavior of particles.

4. Are there any alternative theories to special relativity that could explain the end of cosmology?

There are several alternative theories that have been proposed, such as modified theories of gravity, theories that include extra dimensions, and theories that combine quantum mechanics with relativity. However, these theories are still being studied and do not have as much evidence supporting them as special relativity does.

5. How does the end of cosmology impact our understanding of the universe and its origins?

The end of cosmology challenges our current understanding of the universe and its origins. If special relativity is not the complete answer, it may open up new avenues for exploration and discovery in the field of cosmology. It may also lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and how it came to be.