1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

End of first year, what's next?

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    Just finishing my first year of Physics, what topics are most likely to be in year 2 of a usual 'Maths for Physics' module if I wanted to start studying the Maths now? And what do you think would be the most useful topics to become quite fluent with?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 17, 2012 #3
    I've been using Stoud's Engineering Mathematics books, they're making everything very easy, I'll have a look for it in the library though, thanks :D

5. May 17, 2012 #4
    I second this!
    This book is great.
    The linear algebra is a little lacking though, I'd supplement it with some light la, like gilbert strangs linear algebra book (or hoffmans if you're feeling particularly mathy)

I'll also add a physics textbook reccomendation!
    Landau and Lifgarbagez - A Course of Theoretical Physics - Volume 1, Classical Mechanics

Single best book on basic Action, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms, which you'll be thankful to know about when you start down the odd road that is quantum mechanics.

There's also goldsteins classical mechanics book, it covers more stuff but in my opinion it's just too boring to use as an introduction book, I'd use it as a reference after I'd completed L&L.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. May 17, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah, I agree. You'll need to feel comfortable with linear algebra and (single-variable) calculus already.

7. May 18, 2012 #6
    Thanks a bunch, looking at the contents page for one of my Maths textbooks, which of these topics would be best to go through do you think?
    mecMJ.png

8. May 19, 2012 #7
    All of them!
    (M Boas' Mathematical Methods book does all of that and more (and probably will give you a better understanding) in ~300 less pages)

9. May 20, 2012 #8
    I've found a copy of Boas and I'll try reading through it, thanks. I've got a module called 'Statistical Physics, Entropy and Heat Engines' next year too, anyone know a book that would cover this kind of thing? Would it be under Statistical Mechanics, I noticed that Stanford has some lecture videos on it which seems to deal with Entropy and heat etc? Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook