End of REU Update: Share Your Experience

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, people enjoyed their time doing REU's, found the work interesting, and would do it again.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So, now that many REU's are nearing the end of their 10 week run, how was everyone's time? Did you enjoy the work? Would you do it again?

I think a thread like this could help those thinking about applying for these programs in the future.

Personally, I had a great time. Things got off to a rocky start at first, but in the end I was enjoying every minute off it. Sure the days gets tough when nothing seems to work correctly and every minute involves trouble shooting, but isn't that what research is about sometimes?:biggrin:

I got to do a lot of data acquisition and image processing. It involved a lot of device interfacing and I had never done any programming like this before. So, I also came out with some skills I didn't have before, which was good. I enjoyed the experience overall, and definitely plan on doing it again next year as well, and maybe I will try to do some research during the semester as well.

So, anybody else? What did those of you who did REU's this summer think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good to hear you enjoyed yourself G01. We don't have REU's over here (or at least not in maths that I heard of during my undergrad days) but it sure sounds a good experience-- and a good way to get students interested in undertaking research careers after they graduate!

What field was your research in?

Great job, programming like that is very important to know, as I am doing some of that right now in Matlab :tongue2: (But not for an REU)

My program was a lot of fun. I have my final presentation to give next Thursday and then I am out. Wish it weren't ending so soon though.

My work was suprisingly succesful. This is not my first research experience, so it helped having some back ground. Right now I am in the process of planning out/writing a paper we plan to submit to Science for our nano/bio/self-assembly/etc work. Hopefully this works out!

cristo said:
Good to hear you enjoyed yourself G01. We don't have REU's over here (or at least not in maths that I heard of during my undergrad days) but it sure sounds a good experience-- and a good way to get students interested in undertaking research careers after they graduate!

What field was your research in?

I worked in solid state physics with quantum dots. It was a pretty good time! They are interesting little things, though not as tasty as the candy Dots.:biggrin:

Cyrus, I didn't use much Matlab, though I do know a little. I did use a lot of LabVIEW though. It's weird programming with pictures but you get used to it quick.

my program at UF was really laid back. it's where i go to school, so i didn't have to adjust to anything. my advisor didn't demand a whole lot from me.

G01 said:
I worked in solid state physics with quantum dots. It was a pretty good time! They are interesting little things, though not as tasty as the candy Dots.:biggrin:

Cyrus, I didn't use much Matlab, though I do know a little. I did use a lot of LabVIEW though. It's weird programming with pictures but you get used to it quick.

Labview is a good thing to know too. We used it in electronics class. Its a fast and dirty way to make nice GUI's.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Labview is a good thing to know too. We used it in electronics class. Its a fast and dirty way to make nice GUI's.

The only problem with it is that once you start building a decent sized program, you end up with wires going EVERYWHERE.:biggrin: The more subVI's you use the less of a problem this is though...

LabVIEW also makes device interfacing much easier. At least I think so, anyway.

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics. These programs typically last 8-10 weeks and are hosted by universities and research institutions across the United States.

2. Who can participate in an REU program?

REU programs are open to undergraduate students from all majors, but most programs require applicants to be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program at an accredited college or university. Some programs may have specific eligibility requirements, such as minimum GPA or class standing, so it is important to read the program's guidelines before applying.

3. What is the purpose of the "End of REU Update"?

The "End of REU Update" is a report that participants are required to submit at the end of their REU program. It summarizes their research experience, including the project they worked on, any findings or results, and their overall experience in the program. This report is used to evaluate the success of the program and to provide feedback for future improvements.

4. Do all REU programs require participants to submit an "End of REU Update"?

Yes, it is a requirement for all REU programs funded by the NSF to have participants submit an "End of REU Update". This report is an important part of the program's evaluation process and helps to ensure that the program is meeting its goals of providing valuable research experiences for undergraduate students.

5. How can I share my experience in an REU program?

Aside from the "End of REU Update", there are many ways to share your experience in an REU program. You can write about it in your personal statement or on your resume, present your research at conferences, or even publish your findings in a scientific journal. You can also share your experience with others by giving presentations or talking to students who are interested in participating in an REU program.