Will the World End Due to an Atomic War?

• Thread starter pmquan_92
  • Start date
Q5dWqGXqOkk In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea that the world will end on December 21, 2012 based on the prediction of the Mayan calendar. However, it is revealed that this is merely a myth and there is no evidence to support this claim. The conversation also touches on the possibility of global war and the use of atomic weapons, but ultimately concludes that the end of the world is not imminent. The importance of following forum rules and using proper grammar and punctuation is also emphasized.
pmquan_92
Hey guys,I'm new member of forum.I have a question for you.
I think you are listened to Dec 21 2012.The Maya said that "the World will be ended on that day".So

DO YOU THINK END OF THE WORLD WILL BE COME BY THE ATOMIC WAR?

If no or yes,could you please give me some cause ?(The question for people think the world will be destroyed by human,don't think me spam and don't flame me,thank you!)
Have a nice day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible that civilization may some day be brought to its knees by global war, but it will have nothing to do with Dec 21, 2012. That is internet myth nonsense that you should pay no heed to.

Also, forum rules require attention to grammar and punctuation. You should avoid SMS shorthand.

I saw something in TV:The war of Korea,North Korea,USA,Iran,..All of them talked about reactor,atomic weapon,...Should we care about it? Do you think it will be influence your country,my country,..global?

pmquan_92 said:
Hey guys,i'm new member of 4rum.so,i have a question for u.
I think you are listened to 21 12 2012.The Maya said that "the World will be ended on that day".So

DO YOU THINK END OF THE WORLD WILL BE COME BY THE ATOMIC WAR?

if no or yes,could you please give me some cause ?(The question for people think the world will be destroyed by human,don't think me spam and don't flame me,tks!^^)
have a nice day!
Please type out entire words instead of using text-speak (forum rules). And no, there is no reason to believe that the world will end. During the Cold War, the US and Russia faced off in a battle known as MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction), just so neither side would dare to launch ICBMs at the other. The result was an uneasy peace, and VERY wealthy weapons manufacturers. We are still here. If we can draw down stockpiles of such weapons, we'll be much better off.

If any of your friends start talking about December 21, 2012, please inform them that the "end of the world" is a fantasy, possibly caused by some limitation in the Mayan's calendric cycles or their numbering system. Google Harold Camping to see how these predictions turn out.

DaveC426913 said:
It is possible that civilization may some day be brought to its knees by global war, but it will have nothing to do with Dec 21, 2012. That is internet myth nonsense that you should pay no heed to.

Also, forum rules require attention to grammar and punctuation. You should avoid SMS shorthand.
I'm sorry.I wasn't read forum rules careful before post thread.I'll read it again.Thanks for your remind.

Does this help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju-8ONVp_TU

Please do not use text speak on this forum. Please use proper grammar and spelling.

To answer your question: no, the world will not end on that date. That is: it is as likely that the world ends on 21 december as that it ends tomorrow. There is not inherently special about 21 december other than a hype on the internet.

In fact: the maya calendar doesn't end on 21 december at all. The idea of the mayan calendar is that it is subdivided in specific time units. These units are called:

1 day = 1 kin
20 days = 1 Uinal
360 days = 1 Tun
7,200 = 1 Ka'tun
144,000 days = 1 Bak'tun

What happens on 21 december is that the current Bak'tun will end and that a new one will begin. Currently, we are in the 12th Bak'tun and on 21 december we will move on to the 13'th Bak'tun. There is nothing inherently special or cataclysmic at that. It's the equivalent that january ends and that february begins.

People started saying that 21 december is the end of the world just to get some cash.

Note, that the world WILL end once. This end is estimated at 7.6 billions years from now. Mankind will likely not live long enough to see it happen.

micromass said:
Note, that the world WILL end once. This end is estimated at 7.6 billions years from now.

Ain't that "helium flash" a biatch?

edit: I first went with something more recognizable, but altered it for realism.

Last edited:
Interestingly enough the OP manages to break a plethora of forum rules, yet he is still around and the thread is not even locked. :uhh:

But I agree, education is much more important than policing.

By the bye, we do allow for "English as a second language" grammar and spelling mistakes, as long as an effort is made.

Andre said:
Interestingly enough the OP manages to break a plethora of forum rules, yet he is still around and the thread is not even locked. :uhh:

But I agree, education is much more important than policing.

Note that the OP at this point just asked a question and doesn't claim anything.

This thread is on a very short leash however. As soon as the OP (or anybody else) starts arguing and starts spouting crackpottery, then this thread will be locked immediately.

Thanks Micromass,

Maybe the OP should read http://www.lhup.edu/~DSIMANEK/cargocul.htm to get the idea.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Does this help?

:rofl:

tumblr_l97u10NndC1qd3ppyo1_400.jpg

Jimmy Snyder said:
Does this help?

More apposite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

Although I prefer this for sheer cynical value (profanity warning!)

1. What is the predicted date for the "End of the World"?

There is no scientific evidence or consensus on a specific date for the end of the world. Many predictions have been made throughout history, but none have proven to be accurate. It is important to be cautious of any specific date predictions as they are often based on personal beliefs or interpretations rather than scientific evidence.

2. Will the end of the world be caused by a natural disaster?

Natural disasters are a potential threat to humanity, but they are not the only factor that could lead to the end of the world. Human-caused disasters such as nuclear war, climate change, and pandemics also pose a significant risk. It is important to address and mitigate all potential threats to prevent the end of the world.

3. Is there a way to prevent the end of the world?

While it is impossible to predict or prevent all potential catastrophic events, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the risk of the end of the world. This includes addressing climate change, promoting peace and diplomacy, preparing for natural disasters, and investing in scientific research and technology.

4. Can humanity survive the end of the world?

It is difficult to say if humanity will survive in the event of an apocalypse as it would depend on the severity and nature of the disaster. However, throughout history, humans have shown resilience and adaptability in the face of challenges. It is important to focus on preventative measures and preparation to increase the chances of survival.

5. What is the role of science in predicting or preventing the end of the world?

Science plays a crucial role in understanding and preparing for potential catastrophic events. Through research and technology, scientists can identify and monitor potential threats, develop solutions, and provide evidence-based recommendations for prevention and mitigation. It is essential to continue investing in scientific research and collaborate with experts from various fields to address the complex challenges that could lead to the end of the world.