End the R-Word: Examining the Impact of Language

In summary: The campaign is aimed at people that are offended by the word "retard". It is meant to help them not to use the word because it can cause emotional damage. It is not just aimed at adults.

Evo said:
That's possible. I think more people use *retard* or *retarded* referring to an inanimate object or non-handicapped person than use it as a slur towards the handicapped.

I use retard only for situations, problems, or inanimate objects but never used it for a person.

Physics news on Phys.org

Evo said:
If the person is not physically handicapped, they can't get a handicapped tag. The tag is for people with physical impairments, not mental.

There are physical handicaps that don't show up as limps.

high BP
cystic fibrosis
COPD
emphysema
MS
Crohn's
irritable bowel
pregnancy
medically-induced obesity
arthritis

Contrarily, was your limp a permanent life condition, or temporary? (Not to minimize your injury, but to show perhaps that there are people worse off than you.)

Evo said:
I know people that use relative's tags and it's shameful.

I know this lady who is still using her dead husbands tag. :grumpy: Beside of getting closer parking spaces, do you know if these tags cost less?

DaveC426913 said:
There are physical handicaps that don't show up as limps.

Contrarily, was your limp a permanent life condition, or temporary? (Not to minimize your injury, but to show perhaps that there are people worse off than you.)
It's permanent. It's not just a limp, it's a spinal injury that prevents me from standing, walking, or bending for more than a couple of minutes before extreme pain sets in. Yes, I could qualify for a handicapped tag, I have not applied for one. Most people do not even know because I am on strong pain killers and can appear normal for short durations.

Funny, my neighbor is disabled due to muscular dystrophy and she has to help me walk at times.

Here is an application for a handicapped tag to show what qualifies.

http://arthritis.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=arthritis&cdn=health&tm=205&gps=282_1050_978_504&f=20&su=p284.9.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/disabled_pkg.html

You won't find anyone that qualifies walking briskly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evo said:
It's permanent. It's not just a limp, it's a spinal injury that prevents me from standing, walking, or bending for more than a couple of minutes before extreme pain sets in. Yes, I could qualify for a handicapped tag, I have not applied for one. Most people do not even know because I am on strong pain killers and can appear normal for short durations.

*shivers*

*throws some ice packs into the computer*

o:)(P.S. I wish there was a shiver smile)

Evo said:
Here is an application for a handicapped tag to show what qualifies.

http://arthritis.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=arthritis&cdn=health&tm=205&gps=282_1050_978_504&f=20&su=p284.9.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.hsmv.state.fl.us/dmv/disabled_pkg.html

You won't find anyone that qualifies walking briskly.
Fair enough.

It still could be the daughter of the 95-year-old granny.

9 out of 10 could be guilty, but it's still unfair to wrongly judge the 10th.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC426913 said:
Fair enough.

It still could be the daughter of the 95-year-old granny.

9 out of 10 could be guilty, but it's still unfair to wrongly judge the 10th.
If they are with the handicapped person, that's fine. I'm talking about the people that pull into a handicapped spot and jump out and are clearly not handicapped and they are alone. I only judge the ones that I see abusing the tag.

rootX said:
*shivers*

*throws some ice packs into the computer*

o:)

(P.S. I wish there was a shiver smile)
Awww, thanks. I'm a tough old biddy, it will take more than this to keep me down. :biggrin:

Remember kids. Everyone must be equal, even those who aren't.

This may sound bad, and I'm not even sure if I believe it. But I think there is a distinction to be made between a racial slur (and other types of slurs) and a slur based on a factually unpleasant existence.

e.g.
You can't insult someone by calling them the N word, because (as we know) not all blacks meet the negative stereotype. But aren't all mentally handicapped people, by definition, characterized by a slower mental capability? The use of the two slurs as an insult are not parallel for that reason. You are stating, when you call someone a retard, that they are mentally deficient just like all mentally handicapped people.

I mean, where do we draw the line? Can we not say, "Sounds like you got a smoker's cough."? After experiencing something averagely rough, can we not say, "That just beat me down [SOME HOUSE WIVES GET BEAT UP!]" or "That just blew me up like a nuclear missile [OMG JAPAN IN WWii]"?

I just don't see a problem with comparing something negative with a factually negative existence (just like having a smoker's cough or being beaten by someone or being blown up by a missile are all factually bad, so too is being mentally deficient).

Evo said:
Awww, thanks. I'm a tough old biddy, it will take more than this to keep me down. :biggrin:

Yes, you need this guy!
deutsch1.jpg

Go get him before you get all white hairs :biggrin:

One of my friends just posted a status update on facebook saying that he just saw a video clip of people using their deceased family members handicapped parking placards for themselves. What a coincidence :P

I know that most of this has already been said, but seriously? This has got to be the most retarded campaign ever. I admit that, like most college students, I use "retarded" and "gay" all the time to refer to people or objects I consider stupid, incompetent, or useless. I would never call someone who is actually mentally handicapped "retarded", and as an ally, I would never berate anyone for their sexual orientation.

Contrary to the PSA video's message, I really don't mind if my friends called me a cool person. I don't even mind Asian jokes, even if they were specifically aimed at me, unless they were clearly intended as insults. My opinion is that if you--"you" being any minority--take offense at a word that's clearly not being used as an insult, you're being oversensitive.

Evo said:
If they are with the handicapped person, that's fine. I'm talking about the people that pull into a handicapped spot and jump out and are clearly not handicapped and they are alone. I only judge the ones that I see abusing the tag.

Sadly, this is what my dad has done for years! It's always embarrassed me. To this day, if I drive him anywhere, I purposely park at the end of the parking lot. He always gets really mad.

Back to the thread topic, it seems to me when a word is banned it only gives that word a stronger pejorative connotation (after all it was so bad it had to be banned) and tends to cause the word to be used in a more hateful context.

I'm sure someone has mentioned it, but this always happens:
Imbecile, moron, and so on. It starts off as a medical term and is then used in a derogatory manner.
The worst offender has to be when people say "Schizo", or someone's behaviour, opinion, etc, is "Schizophrenic"; considering that its always used incorrectly. They use Schizophrenic when they mean Dissociative Identity Disorder. Even people who you expect to know better do it (e.g. I was disappointed to see Christopher Hitchens use it incorrectly).

nobahar said:
I'm sure someone has mentioned it, but this always happens:
Imbecile, moron, and so on. It starts off as a medical term and is then used in a derogatory manner.
The worst offender has to be when people say "Schizo", or someone's behaviour, opinion, etc, is "Schizophrenic"; considering that its always used incorrectly. They use Schizophrenic when they mean Dissociative Identity Disorder. Even people who you expect to know better do it (e.g. I was disappointed to see Christopher Hitchens use it incorrectly).

Well, it's one of those things that is peculiar to know. The only reason I know the proper definition of schizophrenia is I did a small research project on it in 9th grade. Before that, like many, I thought it meant dissociative identity disorder.

tedbradly said:
Well, it's one of those things that is peculiar to know. The only reason I know the proper definition of schizophrenia is I did a small research project on it in 9th grade. Before that, like many, I thought it meant dissociative identity disorder.

I suppose, but I would have thought that EVENTUALLY people would become aware of what Schizophrenia isn't. As you say, you discovered what it was in the 9th Grade (I'm not sure what age that is), and I would have thought people would eventually learn what it is. Instead it's become some saying which I have never heard anyone point out to be incorrect.
A recent article (may have been on the BBC) also points out the error regarding King Canute and the proverbial holding back of the tide (correct use of proverbial, I think...). The error is of little 'importance' in comparison, the King Canute story I'm sure is less common in comparison to Schizophrenia and much more trivial an error.